Not open for further replies.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
Morledzep;845851; said:
i see no reason why a sedentary animal like a catfish can't live happily in a tank that is more than twice as long as he's ever going to get.
here's something constructive:

the tank is twice as long, but not nearly as wide.

and twice as long is not long enough (for a full grown adult).

$79 is not really a steal, considering they're almost impossible to sell at large sizes, so if you don't want it anymore for whatever reason; you're pretty much stuck with it.

ps - the fish in my avatar is a tigrinus.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
M|L;846891; said:
here's something constructive:

the tank is twice as long, but not nearly as wide.

and twice as long is not long enough (for a full grown adult).

$79 is not really a steal, considering they're almost impossible to sell at large sizes, so if you don't want it anymore for whatever reason; you're pretty much stuck with it.

ps - the fish in my avatar is a tigrinus.

it must be a really new concept for you that i don't buy anything that i won't care for the rest of it's life. I don't sell fish, i don't trade fish. I buy the fish that i want to raise and care for. IF, for some reason some of my fish spawn and have babies, i MAY sell some. In all honesty, i would probably give away more than i sell to folks that i know and trust. (i know ethnics is getting big eyes and crossing his fingers about now.. hehehe).

We also have an RTC that will get approximately the same size.. eventually. In 3 years we are going to be moving to a HUGE hunk o land and building a VERY large aquarium for all of our fish. I know how big they get as adults and i know it takes more than 1 or 2 years for them to reach their full adult size. The plans are in place, and we know where we are going from here.

I already explained that i'm not familiar with catfish, and that i had the Tigrinus and the TSN mixed up. Even you have to admit that they have a very similar body type. I am HAPPY with my purchase, i think he's a beautiful fish and i will do my very best by him and all of my other fish for the rest of their lives.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if you had resurched the fish before you brought it you would know you are going to need a tank thats about 12ft long x 5ft wide

and long before the 3yrs that you are moving house

as you have stated that you will provide the fish a good home for the rest of his life i would get building that tank now this kind of cat grows very very fast

it seams that you only want to hear wow great fish good buy what a bargin

yes the fish was a good buy and cheap but if you take into consideration that you are now going to need to spend $5,000 for a tank for him then was it such a good buy

i dont mean to sound negative but even the tank you have him in now is to small even if you move him to the 8x2x2ft that wont last long how do you think a 4ft cat will turn around in a 2ft space

their is no way in the world that cat was shipped from the wild at that size its been brought back to the LFS buy someone else who thought it wouldnt grow to big for them well that was a few months ago

its plain to see you didnt know what you were taking on or you wouldnt have know it wasnt a tigrinus

nice fish for a cheap price now go and find £5,000 for a tank

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
you really do think i'm stupid don't you.. I bought him on impulse.. that i'll admit, freely even. But if you think i didn't spend most of today trying to figure out what he is and how to feed him and how to care for him you are sadly mistaken.

But since you are so set on making me look stupid, here are a couple blurbs from some websites with real info and not jerks that like to call names and make themselves feel better by putting down folks that know less than them.

Growth rate: Varies depending on environment and food. The typical pet shop offering is a 3 inch fish which can grow to 12 inches or more within a year. In 2 years these fish can reach 24" in length. Mine are about 10 years old and reached 30" in their 4th year. They appear to continue growing throughout their life span which may reach 20 years or more. They can attain a length in excess of 4 feet at maturity.

this is the website i got this blurb from: http://www.anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/tiger_shovelnose_catfish.htm

SIZE: To 40" (100 cm) in nature, not usually more than 24" (60 cm) in captivity.

TANK: 48" (122 cm) or 55 or more gallons (209 L) is sufficient for small individuals under 6" (15 cm). At the point that the fish surpasses 6" (15 cm), it must be moved to a substantially larger tank. Eventually, a full-grown specimen must be donated to a public aquarium or moved to a 180 or more, gallon tank. The tank should have large, open swimming areas. Use large, sturdy, well-rooted plants. Small plants will be hopelessly buried or up-rooted. Provide sturdy hiding places with caves, rocks, or wood. Use fine gravel as a substrate.

and here is the website that i got those blurbs from: http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Pseudoplatystoma_fasciatum.html

I don't know who runs this forum or who the forum owner is. I've never treated you badly, i've never insulted you. Maybe the forum owner should look into the behaviour of some of the "moderators".​

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if you belive that your cat is going to be ok in a 180 gal then you are going to mess up like many TSN owners before you

what is the point in posting on a forum if you dont want to listern to what people are telling you

cant you see the cat looks to big in the tank its in now whats it going to look like in 6 months

if you are going on the info you posted were is your cave and plants

enjoy the cat

if you are calling for moderators to help you out with something as small as this you are going to have a lot of problems surviving in a public forum

everyone is able to state their opinion

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
ANY TIME you mention buying a big cat, someone always chimes in about how big it gets, tank needed,yada yada yada...........

Just ask them if THEY ACTUALLY OWN ONE. If they do, then their advise is worth listening too, if not...........Dont take it personally.

Good luck with the Tiger

bob

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
thanks bob, again you've been supportive when the children just want to belittle folks they know nothing about.

unless i come upon a deal i can't pass up between now and then, we will be moving to a large hunk o land. and we will be either buying or building our own large aquarium as part of the house we will be building in 3 years. EVERYTHING i've read about the RTC and the TSN say they don't reach full adult size till at least 4 years, and the fish in captivity do NOT get as large as their wild counterparts. And i've already freely admitted that i was influenced by the pics of the beautiful tigs and TSN's here on the forum. And i am doing my research late. But i am NOT letting children who have never raised or cared for any animal for it's entire life tell me that i am wrong or stupid.

Both of my catfish will be moved to the 240 gal aquarium as soon as it's set up. My choice of substrate is going to change drastically because of the needs of the TSN, but i will still have rocks in part of the tank for decoration.

And i realize that when it's time to move to our new place that i'll most likely need professional fish moving kinda folks to help me get both of the catfish (and probably the peacock bass too) from here to there.. and i'll most likely learn a lot more along the way. I wish i knew all i was ever going to learn when i was 18, would have left me lots more time to do other things when i was raising my kids.

JCA

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2006
Washington, US
Morledzep;846994; said:
thanks bob, again you've been supportive when the children just want to belittle folks they know nothing about.

But i am NOT letting children who have never raised or cared for any animal for it's entire life tell me that i am wrong or stupid.
:screwy: They dont need to know anything about you in order to see you are doing something wrong. As for the second part, owning an animal for its life time doesn't mean you are an expert on all animals

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Bgonz;846960; said:
ANY TIME you mention buying a big cat, someone always chimes in about how big it gets, tank needed,yada yada yada...........

Just ask them if THEY ACTUALLY OWN ONE. If they do, then their advise is worth listening too, if not...........Dont take it personally.

Good luck with the Tiger

bob
well i DO OWN A TIG so when you read a thread that some can even confuse the 2 what makes you think he can handle a TSN

yet aagain a 240gal tank is no were near big enought for a TSN

my tank is closer to 350gal and its just about big enought for a real tig and they only grow to 28-30inch

the TSN may take 4yrs+ to get to max size but it will grow to 2ft+ very fast it has probably got the size it is now in less than 1yr and it will keep growing at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per month until it gets to 2ft

this kind of cat are not a flexable as other fish so a 2ft cat will need 30inch wide tank to turn around in comftably

this is the real tig i own if you had done any resurch before you brought the fish their is no way you chould have got the mixed up

P1010198.JPG

P1010199.JPG

P1010200.JPG

kntrygrl4lyfe

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Pensacola, fl
Morledzep;845777; said:
ok.. here he is...

we had a little incident at the LFS i had to chase him around the floor of the shop to get him into the bag.. that immediately started leaking.. so in a stryofoam box inside of 4 bags.. we drove home as fast as the law would allow.. and dropped him in the tank.

so.. i'm not only covered in catfish slime, i'm a mess and my fish is in the tank water way too soon.. but it's our most stable tank with the closest temp to what he came out of, so i think he has a fighting chance.

Anyway, the new guy's name is Kabota. Now you guys get to tell me what he is. lol.

Aw thats a nice looking TSN you got there. I was thinking of getting one but I got a B. Juruense insted for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store