Tiger Knife Fish

dlobom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
Costa Rica
Hoyo12;4763789; said:
You're going to need to use a scientific name. ;) There is a lot of confusion between what is a Zebra Knife; looks like a different species compared to my "Zebra Knife" Gymnotus coatesi.

Any better shots, perhaps of the entire body? Great looking Knife for sure though, from what I can see.
EDIT: A full body shot would probably be the only way to get a positive ID. Can't see the rest of the pattern/coloring.
Isnt Gymnotus coatesi Nakedback knifefish?

-Tiger knifefish (Gymnotus tigre)
-Banded knifefish (Gymnotus carapo)
-Arapaima knifefish (Gymnotus arapaima)
-Zebra knifefish (Gymnotus pedanopterus)

all of which look pretty much the same

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
dlobom;4765262; said:
Isnt Gymnotus coatesi Nakedback knifefish?

-Tiger knifefish (Gymnotus tigre)
-Banded knifefish (Gymnotus carapo) ?
-Arapaima knifefish (Gymnotus arapaima) ?

-Zebra knifefish (Gymnotus pedanopterus)

all of which look pretty much the same
Never heard of that as a common name. However, you do see Gymnotus coatesi labeled as a Zebra Knife from time to time. Same as Carapo Knives. And each Knife listed may look the same, but some are just a little different. ;) Whether it's the color, patter, size, or temperament, etc.
-It is definitely not a Tiger Knifefish (Gymnotus tigre); coloration is off as well as the shape of the fish.
-I'd rule-out Gymnotus pedanopterus as well, as the stripes are not solid enough, and the coloration is off as well.

Now this is where I get stumped, lol. Having a Gymnotus carapo myself, just based off his coloration I'm going to say that your Knife is not a Carapo; however, the body shape and striping pattern are pretty close. >>Now, depending on where a Carapo was originally taken from, it can have a different coloration and pattern as opposed to one found in a different location in South America. I don't believe that there is too much on this, but I do remember reading an article on it about two years ago, so I guess I'll be looking for that, lol. Here are a few shots of my Carapo, just to compare: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4762843#post4762843
So would I say that it can't be a Carapo? No, there is a possibility that it could be; I just don't know for sure. Then again, I know very little about Gymnotus arapaima, and I'm not sure on their coloration. So that's another possibility... I'm still reading and learning, just to see what else I can find to help get a more confident ID, but that's the best I have for now, lol. :)
I need to make a Knifefish directory for myself to refer to or something... lol

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Scorponok;4766191; said:
Confirmed a Arapaima. Notice its back bend sharply downward towards the end similar to the ID chart. Also, lower fin starts on its 3rd stripe.

See, the only thing I dislike about that photo is the coloring, lol. That's the only thing that throws me off. I like to try and get as much evidence as I can before just agreeing with a fish, unless the answer is fairly obvious. Once again though, I'm not disagreeing with the ID. ;)
EDIT: Looking at the 2nd photo, showing the head you can see that the stripes do not connect on either side, where in the photos of the Knife that we are trying to ID the stripes appear to connect. At least from what I can see. Just putting more things out there, lol.

dlobom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
Costa Rica
Scorponok;4766191; said:
Confirmed a Arapaima. Notice its back bend sharply downward towards the end similar to the ID chart. Also, lower fin starts on its 3rd stripe.

Thats not much a bend as the shadow cast by the wood

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Any updates? I just got a few of the Tiger knifefish (Gymnotus tigre) Setting them up in a 125. Will add some dither fish & monitor close
Just be cautious of dithers. These knives are best solo IMO. The smaller knives can get stressed and have issues eating and not make it from the numerous I’ve kept. Keep in soft water too if able. Update with some pics when you get the chance. Haven’t seen any tigre in a while.

ICE-Sprint26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Just be cautious of dithers. These knives are best solo IMO. The smaller knives can get stressed and have issues eating and not make it from the numerous I’ve kept. Keep in soft water too if able. Update with some pics when you get the chance. Haven’t seen any tigre in a while.
Thanks for the response. There isn’t a lot of info out there on these guys. So I’m definitely not just tossing them in a tank and hoping for the best.
i will have lots of hides, leaf litter, rocks, wood. And will feed them well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store