Tilapia Buttikoferi ?'s

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
o and i got mine from a LFS that sold him a half dozen times before and people would bring him back after he killed their fish.

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
I wouldnt buy online, you can get those at any fish store... They arent exactly rare!!!

Probably my favorite fish, i stopped keeping them cuz you cant put anything with them once they reach about 10 inches and that only take about 2 years.. lol awesome fish... good luck

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
That is probably the sweetest butti I have ever seen, great pic!!! That is stay away I might eat your face combat colors>>> I love how they change colors with their mood...

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
if u trying to mate them ,then get six of them put them in a take and two will pair up and kill the rest or u can lucky like i did and i found a pair amongst other buttis in the tank

AudriSampson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Danville, IL
I had one for several years and what I did to deter his aggression was to give him things to do. For example we would put Giant Danios in the tank, the he would act like a sheep dog and herd them around the tank for a month or so before becoming bored and eating them. Another thing was I added some ping pong balls around the tank. They dont move nearly as easy as gravel and it gave him something to focus his attention to instead of trying to remove or "redecortate" his tank heater or filter. Of all people my mother took a huge attachment to him and she would come to the tank and pet and interact with him just like she would one of her yorkies. I guess that kept him pretty busy.

His housing was a 94 gallon corner aquarium and lived in the tank with a ft long pleco who he often tried to bury in its hiding cave, as well as eat the food off the tongs that I would use to get Spirulina disc down to the pleco.

This fish was loved so much by the family and missed so bad after he passed I actually got my mom a juvenile one for her mother's day present this year.

AngryCichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Sacramento, California
my LFS has a massive (w/d/h) 7 x 7 x 2.5 ft display tank and the butti gets on fine in there with other fish only because of the size... in anything smaller it was killing everything ... its probably 12" at the moment.

They are incredibly territorial and more than capable of killing most cichlids with their huge mouths and teeth. Wouldnt advise putting it in a community unless you have a very large tank.
THat snakehead in your avatar is freakin AMAZINNNG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store