Trachy trachy

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have a tank of nocturnal creatures, so these will be welcome haha. Doubt they have ever been imported here though. :(

Do you ever see him/her during the day? In hides or otherwise

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Looking good pal, have you sold the wolf and goby then?
What are the future plans, stick with the one tank?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Looking good pal, have you sold the wolf and goby then?
What are the future plans, stick with the one tank?
Black wolf killed the goby and purple wolf, then attacked the gold wolf bad and kept chasing him and the odoe so sadly I had to get him out ASAP so he went to my Lfs. Went back a few days after he was already sold. Advised them he's aggressive and requires a big tank etc. they've always been good with advising people of things like that so I trust them. I hope whoever made the purchase took their word for it

As far as future. Well I'm sticking with the one tank for a long time. Between college and work, can't afford much or have time for more tanks. So I plan to keep the gold wolf as the biggest jerk I have and the Trachy as the biggest growing. Plan to add two more jags in hopes mine will be even more outgoing. I want a blue botia. Might not happen though. Maybe another gold wolf with the odoe being able to keep them in place with her speed. I want another purple wolf, the gold and the purple behaved like a shoal a litte

When I can get a bigger tank it'll likely be when I have my own home at which point I will try to get my dream tank going

Last edited:

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sorry to hear about you having to sell the Curu Moe and good luck with the job and college.

Getting some more Jags sounds like a plan. In my experience it makes them less timid. I know money's tight but you might also try some dithers. The smaller Tinfoils like Jeff has right now or maybe some Dawkinsia filamentosa. Dithers like that could also help with making retiring fish more out going.

As for he botia, that's another nice choice. Friend of mine was selling some 10"s not long ago and they really look great especially as they grow.
Blue Botia.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Wow, those look awesome.

Reactions: koltsixx

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sorry to hear about you having to sell the Curu Moe and good luck with the job and college.

Getting some more Jags sounds like a plan. In my experience it makes them less timid. I know money's tight but you might also try some dithers. The smaller Tinfoils like Jeff has right now or maybe some Dawkinsia filamentosa. Dithers like that could also help with making retiring fish more out going.

As for he botia, that's another nice choice. Friend of mine was selling some 10"s not long ago and they really look great especially as they grow.
View attachment 1279710

Yea I've always liked them. Reminded me of rainbow sharks which is what started me in this hobby. Ray never replied to me lol I'll reach out again we'll see. And I was looking at some smaller fish on his sight. But I I just worry about the Trachy turning predatory like you said or the gold deciding to eat them etc. kind of tired of risking fish. I was looking at nigripinnis in rapps list but I think they're to small and being silver may trigger the gold. Thought about adding another gold cause the odoe is easily capable of keeping them in place. But if I'm gonna do that that'd be the last thing. Ima gonna see what else I can get first. If nothing then I'll go for another gold and see how it goes. And man just tempt me more with that picture :) lol

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Wow, those look awesome.
Same thought I had when I first saw them. I used to take them for granted but with some size on them they really are impressive.

Yea I've always liked them. Reminded me of rainbow sharks which is what started me in this hobby. Ray never replied to me lol I'll reach out again we'll see. And I was looking at some smaller fish on his sight. But I I just worry about the Trachy turning predatory like you said or the gold deciding to eat them etc. kind of tired of risking fish. I was looking at nigripinnis in rapps list but I think they're to small and being silver may trigger the gold. Thought about adding another gold cause the odoe is easily capable of keeping them in place. But if I'm gonna do that that'd be the last thing. Ima gonna see what else I can get first. If nothing then I'll go for another gold and see how it goes. And man just tempt me more with that picture :) lol
Oh, I didn't even realize Ray had them as well. The gentleman I knew who had them is someone I buy Hybrid Cichlids from. He specializes in things like Flowerhorns, High End Parrots, Platinum and Albino Aro's as well as Albino Rays and such.

At one point I would have told you smaller fish as long as they're open water swimmers you'd be good but I've learned the hard way otherwise not too long ago. The Trachy's used to snag fish that would gravitate toward their water strata or those that hid in the lower parts of the tank. However I've seen them with increasing frequency head toward the surface feverishly sniffing and snapping around. Got my Tapajos Pike who was sizeable and no slouch in the power departrment. They make even my larger fish nervous during feedings including their tanks "King", "Boss", "Alpha" a 14 inch Parrot Hybrid whose almost as high as he is long. They come up from underneath nibbling away ready to grab anything they think they can swallow. And if my experience is any indication yours will eventually start day patroling and will seem to know when you approach the tank even if they're hidden so well they can't see you or vice versa. Before I even have a chance to lift the lid my pair come flying out of their hide. Their lumbering, oafish, hyper movements smashing into and rearranging their tanks decor.

:D I know I was tempted when I saw them. Love that blue grey color and they would make nice additions since they're not overly aggressive or predatory.

Reactions: moe214 and Hendre

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
It seems the ones with yellow fins are in available online in the UK, they all seem to be red tailed Botia, are they separate species or do the red fins go yellow with age?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store