Transferring Taco the Pacu. A LITTLE ADVICE HERE!!!!

Diesel Street

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Okay........Hello to all (by the way)! Pretty new to MFK's.com but been keeping fish since the 9th grade (im old as F**k, now!).
Taco had been in a 29 gallon for thr 1st 6mo's of his life, then a 55 gallon for the next 12-14 mo's up until now.
Taco's next move is the 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank (60in. × 53in. - Big Azz cirlce)
My question to all you professionals:

Should I add all (or most) of the 55 gallons to the stock tank? Half? A quarter? Or should I just use brand new water?

I currently have the water in the stock tank at 7 inches deep. Got a 600gph pond pump hooked to my wet/dry trickle filter (3 stackable draws).

I have 4 preggo guppies in there, 2 male guppies, and 2 glo-fish (tetras). Hopefully they can sh*t and piss, produce ammonia, boost nitrite - make nitrate - yall get the picture.

Obviously, I would have to fill the water more, but when I do, should I add some of Taco's gravel (from 55gal) for bacteria purposes to compensate for the addition of new water?

Sorry for the long post, but i figured if you're on here than you like to read! I'm also happy to be a part of this community (as y'all can tell!)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
add all the substrate, water, and filter media from your existing tank as well as a few bottles of seachem stability and prime for added assurance. good on you for actually upgrading your pacu's living arrangements.

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
I thought just the filter media from the existing tank was suffice.. I do not recall having any issues with adding new water only as long as I moved the healthy bacteria to the new tank. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. GL

Reactions: Diesel Street

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I thought just the filter media from the existing tank was suffice.. I do not recall having any issues with adding new water only as long as I moved the healthy bacteria to the new tank. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. GL
technically the water will do very little to help the new cycle you are correct, but in the interest of safety and water management, why not just add it.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
i'd dump the old water and use all new water. no point in adding nitrate to the new water. bio from old tank is all you need.
He would have to wait for the tank to cycle in this case.
I don't think there would be any harm in adding a bit of your old water to the new tank

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
if he kept the old media and transfer to the new tank, he wouldnt need to cycle. 55g of water wont change water chemistry of the 300g so if youre worried, drip accimate instead of using old water.

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
^ this was what I was always told by fellow mfkers. Even when I went from 80g to 125g, just transfer old media and then your good with new water.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
By adding the old water, the fish moves into a more "familiar" environment as it is acclimatized to the parameters, bacterial and viral load and may thus lessen the shock which is inevitable. Obviously this applies to good water. I agree it does not add much in terms of beneficial bacteria...my 2c worth....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store