Trash Can Filter

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
just curious, what kind of filter are you thinking if not wet/dry or sump? big canister filter?

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Have you considered overhead filters? Basically like a sump except on top of your tank...feed water with a pump and return to tank through gravity :D

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I had that 32g trash can filter for my bahia kelberi for 10 months. 1-1/2" to 12"

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
If you are trying to make a canister, you wont be able to seal the top properly. If you make it into a sump, remember, the pump will be in the bottom, then the bio-media and finally, the mechanical. This is working from the bottom up, of course. The main problem I have had is plumbing the pump. Exterally plumbed return pump solves this, but be sure to use the proper bulkheads with adequate seals. The material generally used for trash cans and storage containers in general wont except most glues or adhesives. Also, the more water being held in the container will cause the container to bulge outward. Again, if you are going to plumb an external pump, use the proper bulkhead/seal. The only other problem I have had is not knowing "how its doing" in terms of when to clean it or if the media is clogged because you cant see into it. You have to take it apart to know.
Anyway, I have played around with this idea amongst others and it is fun to try and make things work on the cheap. Good luck.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
This fall I plan on making a 262 plywood aquarium. I've been trying to find a type of filter to make for it and I hope you dont mind but I think I'm going to steal this idea ;).

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
boldtogether;4924828; said:
If you are trying to make a canister, you wont be able to seal the top properly. If you make it into a sump, remember, the pump will be in the bottom, then the bio-media and finally, the mechanical. This is working from the bottom up, of course. The main problem I have had is plumbing the pump. Exterally plumbed return pump solves this, but be sure to use the proper bulkheads with adequate seals. The material generally used for trash cans and storage containers in general wont except most glues or adhesives. Also, the more water being held in the container will cause the container to bulge outward. Again, if you are going to plumb an external pump, use the proper bulkhead/seal. The only other problem I have had is not knowing "how its doing" in terms of when to clean it or if the media is clogged because you cant see into it. You have to take it apart to know.
Anyway, I have played around with this idea amongst others and it is fun to try and make things work on the cheap. Good luck.
brich999;4924778; said:
just curious, what kind of filter are you thinking if not wet/dry or sump? big canister filter?
I was thinking sump or wet/dry. The problem that I was having was finding any guides to using something that is vertically oriented such as the trash can instead of horizontally oriented like most aquariums are. I realize that visual access to the contents of the filter will be very limited, but I figure that inspections on a weekly basis (at minimum) of the different media and parts should help to gauge when to clean/unclog/replace anything.

Freezekougra;4924781; said:
Have you considered overhead filters? Basically like a sump except on top of your tank...feed water with a pump and return to tank through gravity :D
I don't think I'll have room above the aquarium for an overhead filter. This proposed filter is going to be for a pretty big (few hundred gallons) aquarium that I'm going to be building plus I'd then have to build a stand for the filter resulting in more costs.

kendragon;4924805; said:
I had that 32g trash can filter for my bahia kelberi for 10 months. 1-1/2" to 12"
How did it work out for you? Any strengths or weaknesses that are worth mentioning?

gar man;4924850; said:
This fall I plan on making a 262 plywood aquarium. I've been trying to find a type of filter to make for it and I hope you dont mind but I think I'm going to steal this idea ;).
Go for it. I plan on using this to help filter an aquarium that I'll be building soon, too.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
derekp;4924933; said:
Check out my sig. I made it exactly how you are thinking.
Sounds like you made a pretty sweet filter from what I've read so far in that thread!

I'll have to try making this one in a similar fashion minus it being elevated; I plan on making an overflow(s) that get piped into the filter then the filtered water gets pumped back up to the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store