Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
NLS Hex-Shield, presoak in Epsom solution, and force feed directly into gut with pipette and soft tubing. The food already contains Metronidazole, but one could add extra to presoak water as well. Not all fish will respond 100% of the time, especially if the hex has become systemic and already travelled to organs.

Good luck.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hoping I caught it early enough, I ordered metro last night. Fish won't eat anything and I fear the stress from catching him and force-feeding him the Epsom salt wasn't helpful. I will try dosing tank with metro, if that doesn't work I will pick up some hexshield. Will probably get some hexshield to mix into staple pellet variety going forward as well.
Tank is 4' 33 gallons, fish is a 6-7" Lyonsi cichlid. pH high (7.8+), ammonia/nitrite 0, nitrate 20. Fish was doing great, eating till fat a few weeks ago.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would not recommend mixing hex shield with other food. Think of it as a medication, meant to be used full strength as directed on the label only. Good luck with the metro, hopefully your fish responds positively.

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
He had HITH, which is completely cured now.. instead in the place of the holes these bulges have come.. is it normal.. they seem to b growing bigger day by day!
Please help anyone..

---
TMA: Sun Jul 02 2017 19:48:47 GMT+0530 (IST).jpg

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
Unfortunately I cannot. I have rescued peacock bass that hard horrible hex and wouldn't eat for months. Finally they began to eat, and regained health and established a quality life. Many still have large pits and scars on their heads. Once every few years they have a flare up and I treat again. Keep the water clean and keep treating and hopefully they will heal over time. They might not, but hey at least your pet is eating again and overall healthy. I'm covered in scars, he might have a few after this ordeal also. I know everyone wants a perfect specimen but life is humbling. Just give it some time if he's eating again. You're on the right track.
Pls help me brother.. like you did last time...

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
I would not recommend mixing hex shield with other food. Think of it as a medication, meant to be used full strength as directed on the label only. Good luck with the metro, hopefully your fish responds positively.
Please help RD.. i cured hex with ur instructions, help with this too

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, I wish I could help but I have never seen anything quite like that before. Hopefully they are just some form of benign cyst.

Tintin

Feeder Fish
Jul 16, 2017
Please help! I started feeding him pellet as part of his diet. Made his kok bigger and also the his lower part. Look like he has a goiter. His first diet was superworms only. And he is always on looking on the top waiting for food. I feed him 10 pellets + 2 superworms. 3x a day. And also his behavior changed a lot. He doesn't give attention when I run my fingers. And also to the mirror. Is this normal? Thanks!

IMG_20170712_182036.jpg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Now for the treatment ......

For a 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.

Use an eye dropper or pipette to add to pellet food (or any other food that will readily absorb it), and stop dripping water once the pellets become saturated. Use only enough water to saturate the food, with no excess water, so that the water soluble vitamins in the food remain intact. Feed twice a day, for 3-5 days. (I went with 5 days)
Quick question, can the mixed solution be stored and used daily for the treatment or does it need to be made up fresh daily?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It can be stored for the duration of treatment.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store