Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just thought that I would add the following link for another paper on this subject, that was published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal in 2015.

Treatment of diplomonad intestinal parasites with magnesium sulphate at a commercial rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) facility

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4502860/

Joushua Nunez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2017
Hi i have a new fh. Since day 1 when he came he has been pooping white. He has not ate since and its his 3rd day with me. I have moved him in a hospital tank today. I have added epsom salt to his tank, melafix and APIs general cure. He was really lethargic during the first day and second day. He is more active now but still pooping white and still no interest with food. On his second day. He had a prolapse anus. But came back maybe 30 mins after. He is still small and im not very experienced to administer the 3% solution directly to him. Any other suggestions?

Joushua Nunez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2017
Hi i have a new fh. Since day 1 when he came he has been pooping white. He has not ate since and its his 3rd day with me. I have moved him in a hospital tank today. I have added epsom salt to his tank, melafix and APIs general cure. He was really lethargic during the first day and second day. He is more active now but still pooping white and still no interest with food. On his second day. He had a prolapse anus. But came back maybe 30 mins after. He is still small and im not very experienced to administer the 3% solution directly to him. Any other suggestions?
Heres some pics.

20171010_124308.jpg

20171010_124344.jpg

20171010_124538.jpg

20171010_124357.jpg

20171010_124512.jpg

OscarRookie

Feeder Fish
Oct 28, 2017
I would imagine that it's safe for all species of fish. I don't believe that ingesting Epsom salt would harm any fish unless one gave the fish too much, for too long. IMO this is hands down FAR safer than treating with any type of medication on the market, and in many cases FAR more effective.

Hey RD,

This is my first time dealing with hith and your article has helped a lot. I have mixed the solution and we started soaking my O's food last night. Hes still eating very well so I am afraid of giving him too much of the solution. He is still a juvinile about 5 inches. Do you have any suggestions on how much of the solution he should get in one feeding?

Thank you!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There's really no chance to overdose with magnesium sulfate, especially using a 3% solution. Make sure that you keep your tank water uber clean, and hopefully your O bounces back. Good luck!

PS. if you can get your hands on some New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield, feed that. Works wonders on early stages of Spironucleus vortens aka Hexamita. Contains Epsom salt, metronidazole, and a mega dose of garlic.

Reactions: tarheel96

OscarRookie

Feeder Fish
Oct 28, 2017
There's really no chance to overdose with magnesium sulfate, especially using a 3% solution. Make sure that you keep your tank water uber clean, and hopefully your O bounces back. Good luck!

PS. if you can get your hands on some New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield, feed that. Works wonders on early stages of Spironucleus vortens aka Hexamita. Contains Epsom salt, metronidazole, and a mega dose of garlic.
Here is an image of my guy. This is the only lesion he has on his face. He is sheding his intestinal lining like you described in your original post. The earliest i can get my hands on the hexshield would be two to three days by that time he will have been on your treatmen for 3 to 5 days. Do you think it would still be good to have on hand?

20171030_073041.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I can't really tell much from your pic, but yes, I would still get the 3mm Hex-Shield & feed that for a few days. Feed it exclusively, offer no other foods during treatment.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Good stuff, glad your fish is doing better.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I have some new pickups in quarantine that I'd like to treat using this method. I'm assuming this would work with flake food as well? I understand pellets would be more absorbent however they refuse any pellet I offer them. They will however devour flake food...

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store