Treating velvet

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Any tips for treating velvet. The fish looks to have a dusty whitish covering all over its fins.

Wont bother posting a pic because no matter what i do i cant get it show.

So far ive added salt 1 tablespoon per 10 gal and remember hearing to keep the lights off. I also ordered cupramine (should be here tomorrow)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any tips for treating velvet. The fish looks to have a dusty whitish covering all over its fins.

Wont bother posting a pic because no matter what i do i cant get it show.

So far ive added salt 1 tablespoon per 10 gal and remember hearing to keep the lights off. I also ordered cupramine (should be here tomorrow)

kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Leave the lights off for 7 days. Add the meds once it gets there. Cont with salt. Keep the water clean.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just an FYI if you have never used Cupramine before.

Bingo.

I have used Cupramine a few times over the years with no issues. But you have to be careful, especially when changing water. I change water at least 24 hrs before adding Cupramine to the tank, and when treatment is complete I use copper absorbing resins to remove copper residuals. (Cuprisorb) https://www.seachem.com/cuprisorb.php

From a Seachem rep ....

Q: I've been dosing with Cupramine™ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?

A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuard™ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Prime® then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.

"Prime, like most water conditioners on the market, is a reducing agent. *Therefore, when combined with Cupramine, has the potential to reduce the copper from a safe form to a more toxic form. *We do not recommend using the two products in conjunction with one another. *However, since Prime only remains active for 24-48 hours, you can prepare your tap water 2 days prior to adding to the aquarium and it will be perfectly safe. *At that point, the Prime will have dechlorinated the water."

Two days after Prime is added the water it will still be dechlorinated and will not react with copper. *

Product Support Seachem

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One last thing, what the Seachem reps state is not exactly accurate. It's not the reducing agent per se that causes the issue, it's the element that binds the free ammonia into a safe form. So Prime, Safe, and any other water conditioner that contains ammonia binding elements will be No Bueno when using Cupramine. I have used sodium thiosulfate such as the following product, in conjunction with Cupramine, with no issues. Even with more sensitive species such as clown loaches.

Good luck

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just an FYI if you have never used Cupramine before.

"Prime, like most water conditioners on the market, is a reducing agent. *Therefore, when combined with Cupramine, has the potential to reduce the copper from a safe form to a more toxic form. *We do not recommend using the two products in conjunction with one another. *However, since Prime only remains active for 24-48 hours, you can prepare your tap water 2 days prior to adding to the aquarium and it will be perfectly safe. *At that point, the Prime will have dechlorinated the water."

Two days after Prime is added the water it will still be dechlorinated and will not react with copper. *

Product Support Seachem
Thx neil. I did read that last night. Imreluctant to do any water changes today. Id rather start the treatment asap instead of waiting another 2 days.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
One last thing, what the Seachem reps state is not exactly accurate. It's not the reducing agent per se that causes the issue, it's the element that binds the free ammonia into a safe form. So Prime, Safe, and any other water conditioner that contains ammonia binding elements will be No Bueno when using Cupramine. I have used sodium thiosulfate such as the following product, in conjunction with Cupramine, with no issues. Even with more sensitive species such as clown loaches.

Good luck
I remember something about ions or whatever. All.of it went over my head... except the fact that it turns it i to a more concentrated/lethal form.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Question is do i even bother removing the fish to a qt ? Since its been displaying symptoms for a couple of days at the least i would probably need to treat the whole tank....right ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store