Treating velvet

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
My quarantine routine has holes in it to say the least. Treat for parasites with general cure. Wait a couple of weeks to a month. If the fish is eating and acting normal ot gets moved into the comm.

Also the chance that its columnaris... cupramine should treat that well. At least i think

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh yeah i dont plan on feeding for a while. These guys can deal with it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
In case it turns out to be columnaris. The copper won’t treat it. Usually recommend kanamycin and furan2 together for columnaris.

Treat for velvet first and see how it responds.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So if im understanding this correctly im basically not doing a water change for the next 2 weeks. Yikes. Or just not adding water conditioners. We are set up for chlorine removal with the home filtration. No chlaramine in the tap.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...osing-Treatment-Instructions?mobile_site=true

"Treatment
If the bottle has a dropper cap, use 20 drops (1 mL) per 40 L (10.5 US gallons) the first day, wait 48 hours, then repeat. On non-dropper caps, each inner ring is 1 mL. In freshwater use half dose. Final copper concentration is 0.5 mg/L (0.25 mg/L in freshwater). Leave at this concentration for 14 days. Do not redose without testing (MultiTest™: Copper). If tank has ever been treated with an ionic copper (e.g. copper chloride, sulfate or citrate), test copper level after initial dosing. Although most fish tolerate Cupramine™ to 0.8 mg/L, it is not advisable to exceed 0.6 mg/L copper.

Finish the Full Treatment
Ich, velvet, and many other parasites spend a large portion of their life cycle as a cyst that is immune to medication and hiding in the substrate of your tank. Remember that you need to finish the full treatment even if you can’t see parasites on the fish!

After Treating
Cupramine can be removed using carbon or CupriSorb. Leave the copper-absorbing media in your tank for at least a week after the copper concentration has reached 0 to ensure all traces of the medication have been completely removed.

In case of eye exposure, promptly & thoroughly wash eyes with water & seek medical attention."

So for 400 gals (roughly) im using 38 mls. Cut in half for fresh is 19 mls. Wait 48 hrs then another 19 mls. No water change in between dosings ?

Then wait 14 days

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So if im understanding this correctly im basically not doing a water change for the next 2 weeks. Yikes. Or just not adding water conditioners. We are set up for chlorine removal with the home filtration. No chlaramine in the tap.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...osing-Treatment-Instructions?mobile_site=true

"Treatment
If the bottle has a dropper cap, use 20 drops (1 mL) per 40 L (10.5 US gallons) the first day, wait 48 hours, then repeat. On non-dropper caps, each inner ring is 1 mL. In freshwater use half dose. Final copper concentration is 0.5 mg/L (0.25 mg/L in freshwater). Leave at this concentration for 14 days. Do not redose without testing (MultiTest™: Copper). If tank has ever been treated with an ionic copper (e.g. copper chloride, sulfate or citrate), test copper level after initial dosing. Although most fish tolerate Cupramine™ to 0.8 mg/L, it is not advisable to exceed 0.6 mg/L copper.

Finish the Full Treatment
Ich, velvet, and many other parasites spend a large portion of their life cycle as a cyst that is immune to medication and hiding in the substrate of your tank. Remember that you need to finish the full treatment even if you can’t see parasites on the fish!

After Treating
Cupramine can be removed using carbon or CupriSorb. Leave the copper-absorbing media in your tank for at least a week after the copper concentration has reached 0 to ensure all traces of the medication have been completely removed.

In case of eye exposure, promptly & thoroughly wash eyes with water & seek medical attention."

So for 400 gals (roughly) im using 38 mls. Cut in half for fresh is 19 mls. Wait 48 hrs then another 19 mls. water change in between dosings ?

Then wait 14 days
Yea. No water change in between if able so it can keep a certain concentration. If u need to do a water change then redose but would avoid it as high levels are toxic, I believe.

Reactions: jaws7777

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I did water changes, using the product that I linked to above. Just stay away from ammonia binding conditioners, such as Prime/Safe etc, and don't do massive water changes, or overdose the conditioner.

Or just wait it out for 2 weeks......

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And yeah, get a proper test kit to ensure you are dosing at proper levels.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I tested the home water and the system is doing its thing. No detectable chlorine. I'll do a massive wc today then start dosing the meds.

Of course replenishing the salt. Temp is at 82ish... should i go higher ? I read bringing it up to 86 is advisable.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I would not add salt, or raise temps, when using Cupramine, but maybe that's just me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store