Trevor the flowerhorn needs help!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Honestly the best thing I could recommend to ya at this moment is just make his last moments on earth as comfortable as possible. It maybe sad to think about but you can always hold your head up high and be able to say that you atleast gave him a nice happy life. As they say "all good things must come to an end at some point". Just know that even if he can't show you love or appreciation like a dog or a cat can that he still loves and appreciates everything you have done for him.

CaptainBarouq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2020
So, update on Trevor. He went to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they gave him an antibiotic injection and used a needle to remove 30 mL from his swim bladder. Since then, he has been stuck to the bottom of the tank because he can't float and hasn't eaten anything. He has lost all colour, his fins are starting to rot, and he appears to have a sore at the base of one of his pectoral fins. At this point I don't think he will survive, so I have clove oil on the way, but it won't be here for about a week. I don't want to blame myself, but I think giving permission to relieve his swim bladder directly was the final nail in the coffin for him. In hindsight I should have let them try one thing (the antibiotic) and seen what that did for him. I had him in a shallow tank, but that one started leaking on me so he'll be spending his last few days in his main tank.

Thanks to anyone who gave me any advice on what I should do in this situation.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
So, update on Trevor. He went to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they gave him an antibiotic injection and used a needle to remove 30 mL from his swim bladder. Since then, he has been stuck to the bottom of the tank because he can't float and hasn't eaten anything. He has lost all colour, his fins are starting to rot, and he appears to have a sore at the base of one of his pectoral fins. At this point I don't think he will survive, so I have clove oil on the way, but it won't be here for about a week. I don't want to blame myself, but I think giving permission to relieve his swim bladder directly was the final nail in the coffin for him. In hindsight I should have let them try one thing (the antibiotic) and seen what that did for him. I had him in a shallow tank, but that one started leaking on me so he'll be spending his last few days in his main tank.

Thanks to anyone who gave me any advice on what I should do in this situation.
Sorry for hear this. I hope you don't get discouraged from fish keeping because this. Bad things happens, it's important to find why and fix, but not always possible.

CaptainBarouq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2020
So, update on Trevor because amazon was really slow, so I didn't get clove oil for ages.

I got more info back from the vet i took him to, and trevor has since gone through a round of metronidazole and is doing infinitely better! It took 2 1/2 weeks since the vet visit, but he finally started eating the day before I got the prescription for metronidazole and that convinced me to put a full stop on euthanasia, and after 3 weeks since the vet visit, he has spent a full day upright and eating very enthusiastically! I am now very hopeful he will make a full recovery and continue being my derptastic friend for a few years!

Again, thank you to everyone for your advice.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
So, update on Trevor because amazon was really slow, so I didn't get clove oil for ages.

I got more info back from the vet i took him to, and trevor has since gone through a round of metronidazole and is doing infinitely better! It took 2 1/2 weeks since the vet visit, but he finally started eating the day before I got the prescription for metronidazole and that convinced me to put a full stop on euthanasia, and after 3 weeks since the vet visit, he has spent a full day upright and eating very enthusiastically! I am now very hopeful he will make a full recovery and continue being my derptastic friend for a few years!

Again, thank you to everyone for your advice.
Awesome, that's a very good news.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store