Trimac/Sajica Grow Outs

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Your sajica are looking real nice. Mine are about the same size now as well but the female doesn't like the male too much. My male is more blue/purple through out the body. Love the finnage on yours though

Reactions: FIU Panther

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Well, just got home and discovered my Sajica pair has a brood, I must have missed the eggs. This marks their first spawn and explains why I had to move my other two Sajicas to the 125g Trimac grow out tank. The other two Sajicas that were not a pair were getting chewed up in the 40g.

I hope the six foot tank will give them enough space to get away from those Trimac growouts until I can find a home for them or at least get them to a fish store.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Beautiful couple - I miss my Sajica's from Jeff - just got rid of the last male - he was unfortunately quite the spouse abuser and frankly had a hard time getting along w/ anyone - attacking weaker fish and taking a beating from fish he had no business challenging

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Well, my lone female Sajica died today. I had left the dominate male and her in a 40b after they paired up, but after the first hatch that didn't make it in February he never let up and he finally killed her from stress. I added a ton of pots and artificial plants to break the lines of sight and create caves and hiding spots but none of that worked. She stopped eating a few days ago and I found her floating today.

I currently still have 6 Trimacs growing out in a 125g with my other 2 Sajicas. I don't know how much longer the rest of those fish have in that tank as the dominate Trimac is finally starting to put on size.

What do you guys think are my options with the 40b? It currently houses one very dominate Sajica that just looks stunning, I was thinking of trying a community around him, but don't know what would survive in a 40b.

Attached are pics of the 40b and the dominate male.

40b.jpg

dom male.png

Ignore the poop.

Last edited:

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would leave him on his own unless you can get a bigger tank.
Fully grown male sajica are a bulky stocky fish and very deep bodied.
I recommend an upgrade and adding a few females. Harems work well with sajica,if given a little space.

Reactions: FIU Panther
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store