Two Fluval FX6's or Custom Sump

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I will be getting a 160-180 gallon acrylic tank built here soon and need to finalize filtration. I had thought I was going to get two FX6's but now I'm considering a sump. The tank will house a Piraya Piranha so it needs a lot of filtration. What do you guys think? Sump or 2 FX6's? What will the downsides be to a sump? Downsides to the canister filters?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Both!

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Like are two fx6's enough and would a sump just be redundant? Or does it really make that much of a difference.
Two FX-6s would be good for a tank that size. I'd go with the sump given the option, but that's likely to be more setup, noise and humidity if that's a concern. But, likely better water quality and easier to clean.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Two FX-6s would be good for a tank that size. I'd go with the sump given the option, but that's likely to be more setup, noise and humidity if that's a concern. But, likely better water quality and easier to clean.
How are you supposed to clean a sump anyway? The reason I am not so sure about a sump is because I'm not very handy and really wouldn't trust something I made. I know someone that could build and ship a 75 gallon sump to me for $1300. The idea would be filling it 1/3 of the way up to make room for more water in case the power goes out. Making it myself I guess would cost me $600. Two FX6's cost about $1000 all together.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I like having a sump because maintenance is easier which means I'm more likely to do it.
A canister filter looks fine from the outside and is a pain to check if it needs cleaned.
How are you supposed to clean a sump anyway? The reason I am not so sure about a sump is because I'm not very handy and really wouldn't trust something I made. I know someone that could build and ship a 75 gallon sump to me for $1300. The idea would be filling it 1/3 of the way up to make room for more water in case the power goes out. Making it myself I guess would cost me $600. Two FX6's cost about $1000 all together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store