Types of Amphilophus

MattyV55

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Kingston MA
If you could only choose one type of Amphilophus to keep a pair of for the rest of your life what would it be? Labiatus, Citrinellum, Amarillo, Trimac, Hoga, Chancho.
And most importantly, why?

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Out of above mentioned it would be difficult to chose between trimac or midas. Completely different but equally as intriguing to me. If only one tank for life with one amph pair it would come down to blood line. I would want the male trimac to be substantially larger than the female and prominent teardrop markings would be a must. And if I went with the Midas I would want a creamsicle male and a similar-sized bright solid Orange female hopefully with some barred Midas in her bloodline producing a wide range of color fry. But the gold barred Midas would be a close second. Despite the fact the Trimac is on the top of my list as being one of my favorite fish I would probably choose the Midas because they will settle down into their natural behavior when you're in the room but the Trimac will only beg for food according to my experience. You could watch the Trimac in their normal behavior if you turn the lights off in the room or sneak up on them or sit far away but the Midas will forget about you or at least act like it after five or ten minutes returning to their normal behavior.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
For me it would have to be a pair of fat lipped Labiatus. Prefer their shape to all the other Amphs and love the fact they come in a variety of colours. Never know what you'll get from a spawn.

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
This is the ultimate debate for me, because i am an Amphilophus fanatic!!

A part of me says Lyonsi, though not listed, just because they are on the C.A.R.E.S list..... But they aren't big or aggressive enough for me.

Another part says Trimacs. They are the second largest growing, are gorgeous, and tons of personality.

And the last part of me says Citrinellum. They are what got me interested in Amphilophus to begin with. The colors are endless. The size is there. Nuchal Hump.

In the end, it would be left to a flip of a coin between the Trimac and Midas.

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
I know the question is if you could only choose one but life is too short to limit yourself when you don't have to ,so since I like them almost equally l have both ...F1 midas and f1 trimac....but having said that i am currently focusing more on trimac .and that would be the one at least at this time ...... I could go on and on about them... I think they got all the qualities of a large cichlid that could still be managed in less than super monster tanks... the main thing attracts me to them over others in the genus is their color pattern... and the way they can change color according to their mood .pre spawning, post spawning etc......

20180709_083118.jpg 20180618_144532.jpg 20180616_102919.jpg 20180611_123105.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store