Ultra High Tech 300 gallon Discus install journal

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
So very excited to see this progress. Thanks for the opportunity to see what we usually wouldn't!

I think I should donate my avatar for you to use as your own, this proves the point so well, keep it up!

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Just got back from buying another $500 in Schd 80 fittings and pipe. Lots of gluing going down. Stand by.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Yeah the plumbing bits certainly add up!! Looking forward to the update.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Next up, automated water changes.

The problem:

I have well water so chlorines and chloromines are not an issue, but .... the water coming out of my well is like liquid rock, high in magnesium and calcium and insanely high iron levels. I've got to reduce this not so much for the fish, but to keep the hard water stains in check over time.

Solution:

Use a mix of mostly R/O water with just enough carbon filter only well water to re-mineralize it.
The problem with this is consistency and automation which is critical for me.

So after some searching around I found this neat gizmo. A TDS monitor and controller.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...control-dosinginjection-tdsec-controller.aspx

What it allows you to do is set a high and low set point for the TDS and it will activate relays accordingly.

1. I will have an overflow drain built into my water reservoir so any extra water added will just run off and no chance of flooding
2. R/O and straight well water will fill the reservoir at different flow rates to get the proper TDS close (this will take some experimenting)
3. The TDS controller will have it's sensor on a circulation pump in the reservoir
4. As the TDS controller reads the TDS it will open valves on separate water feed lines to the R/O or straight well water. If the TDS is too low it will add non-R/O water until TDS comes up to set point and add R/O only water if TDS is too high. All excess will just go down the over flow drain.

pre-filter plan

1st stg: 5 mic sediment filter
2nd stg: brim filled 20" big water filter housing - this will be plumbed up with a series of 3 way valves so it can be backwashed
3rd stg: another sediment filter (brim is a catalyst that precipitates out magnesium and iron, most will be trapped in the brim media, but some will pass through and need caught)
4th stg: mini-water softner made to fit in cabinets
5th stg: 5 mic carbon block
6th stg: 0.5 mic carbon block
7th stg: 75gpd R/O membranes x2 with booster pump if needed (150gpd for a 300 gallon aquarium)

The brim filter and water softner should greatly extend membrane life

The "tap water" for mixing with R/O will be pulled off between stage 1 and 2 and then run through it's own series of carbon blocks

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
With all the money you spent on this project, why not just hire someone to take care of the fish for you? I kept and bred discus in a 20 gallon tank with a sponge filter. Did water changes with a hose and bucket. No big deal.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
if you have to ask ...............

try "hose and bucketing" 100 gallons of water 2 to 3 times a week through your house and get back to me.

aaron7353

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Iowa
I have been watching this thread as it has progressed, and I have to say, people need to learn to shut up sometimes. This thread is in no way about simplicity like "a hose and bucket" or the "KISS principle". It is about sparing no expense and fully automating and perfecting a beautiful setup. I love watching what amazing equipment some geniuses have created for hobbyists to utilize. So please, sit back and enjoy the interesting, less common approach of fishkeeping. Not to mention, rather than calling it excessive, why not give props for all of the work and effort that rbarn is putting in to research and bring together this dream of his?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store