Umbees

CICHLID STRAIN HUNTERS

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not trying to be funny but INBREEDING.....??? Not really something I'm interested in doing but seem as I'm having some difficulties relocating the mother of my umbee and his father is gone....well would it be good bad or ok if the mother and the son mated...I know it wouldn't offer much gene diversity, and maybe I would have a few or most defected offspring ....just wondering...not going to do it...I got her son a 2 WC female's, one is very beautiful, stunning the other is not dominant.

20160128_150619.jpg

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
We've had this dicussionn many times in the reptile trade and I'm pretty sure fish are similar (except travelling in some instances) - in the wild reptiles don't travel THAT far from the place they were born, so the chances of them simply following pheromones to the nearest mate will lead them to at least a distantly related family member a good 50% of the time, so there is also quite a bit of inbreeding in wild populations of anything. I have even seen peoples' WC-fish here and you can clearly see defects from inbreeding in some of them. We don't encourage it, but A.) it's hard to know who is related and who isn't, and B.) most people agree that you tend to see problems at around 6-7 generations of inbred genetics. If you are going to do it, try not to do it a 2nd time and always at least LOOK for different bloodlines before settling on inbreeding. Captive fish already have kind of a rather diluted lineage already, sadly.

My vote is avoid when you can, but if you HAVE to, just do it once and always inform buyers if they are inbred so they can make their own call when it comes time for them to breed as well.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
We've had this dicussionn many times in the reptile trade and I'm pretty sure fish are similar (except travelling in some instances) - in the wild reptiles don't travel THAT far from the place they were born, so the chances of them simply following pheromones to the nearest mate will lead them to at least a distantly related family member a good 50% of the time, so there is also quite a bit of inbreeding in wild populations of anything. I have even seen peoples' WC-fish here and you can clearly see defects from inbreeding in some of them. We don't encourage it, but A.) it's hard to know who is related and who isn't, and B.) most people agree that you tend to see problems at around 6-7 generations of inbred genetics. If you are going to do it, try not to do it a 2nd time and always at least LOOK for different bloodlines before settling on inbreeding. Captive fish already have kind of a rather diluted lineage already, sadly.

My vote is avoid when you can, but if you HAVE to, just do it once and always inform buyers if they are inbred so they can make their own call when it comes time for them to breed as well.
Why would you have to?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Why would you have to?
in the instance were you absolutely can't find another mate or even another fish of that species to growout to potentially be a mate.....like my Peruvian Redtail Boa, whom I searched for 4 years to find a mate and couldn't even find another PRTB .....period. She is pushing 5 feet and STILL no mate

CICHLID STRAIN HUNTERS

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
The mothers best trait is that she's never been sick once....the son he looks super awsome compared to his Dad and just in general but I treated him for stringy poop more than once as the same for his father....does anyone think female's are just healthier?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe its line-breeding, and its done all the time. If neither the son nor mother are spectacular or have a very desirable trait, I wouldn't bother.
Bingo. Genetics are a funny thing, no telling what kind of quality of offspring will be the result of a random pairing of fish, whether those fish are related, or not. In the wild mother nature will cull most of the duds, naturally. In a glass box it's up to us.

CICHLID STRAIN HUNTERS

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Well It don't matter she's been rehomed now, she put a heck of a fight going out...gave me a bath splashed me like the orca whales at sea world...at the end she scratched her face knocked a couple of scales of on her side and scraped her top fin....that's on me I think I rushed taking her out, rookie mistake hope she heal up quick. Recorded her length.

20160420_162535.jpg

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store