Unpopular Opinions - Arowanas

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
What causes dropeye? I don’t know much on aros…
No one can really confirm. Some say it’s due to build up of excessive fats due to fatty foods and diet. Others say due to banging against the lids of tank. Other genetics.

imo I think it is due to genetics, cause if silver arowanas and asians/ jardini are red same diet, the silver has a much higher possibility still of getting dropeye. Banging against the lid is just stupid honestly.

Chino 61

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
Just got a little guy in my 50 yesterday. at less than 2 inches he has my Rainbow Sharks at twice its size hiding in the rocks. In the next few months of growth he will go into the 75. Then into the 125. Then into the 250 forever home with the other big fish... Sadly he won't scare any of them lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No one can really confirm. Some say it’s due to build up of excessive fats due to fatty foods and diet. Others say due to banging against the lids of tank. Other genetics.

imo I think it is due to genetics, cause if silver arowanas and asians/ jardini are red same diet, the silver has a much higher possibility still of getting dropeye. Banging against the lid is just stupid honestly.
That is what I have read and what you've said seems to make plenty of sense to me.

Rojo1991

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2017
Louisville ky
Seems like there are lots of hybrid fishes coming Asia. If someone can hybrid the Asian arowana with a Jardini, that would make it legal to export to the USA. Genetically it won’t be an Asian arowana but looks similar. That would create a market in the USA. Maybe they have to be of a certain size so it’s distinguishable before it’s exported. Just a crazy thought.
Could happen. We have red tail/tiger shovelnose hybrids so I guess it’s possible lol

Reactions: xenacanth9

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
My unpopular opinion: all arowanas are waaaaaaay overrated. This opinion seems to be unpopular since arowana prices remain astronomically high.

As an example, I'd take a school of neons over any type of arowana any day. Better colors (IMO), much more compatible with many of my other favorites, won't suicidally jump out of the tank, won't get dropeye, and are ultimately much easier to care for.

One person I know had a $700 arowana jump out of its tank and die. That's $700 down the drain, and for perspective my 3 tanks put together cost less than it.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My unpopular opinion: all arowanas are waaaaaaay overrated. This opinion seems to be unpopular since arowana prices remain astronomically high.

As an example, I'd take a school of neons over any type of arowana any day. Better colors (IMO), much more compatible with many of my other favorites, won't suicidally jump out of the tank, won't get dropeye, and are ultimately much easier to care for.

One person I know had a $700 arowana jump out of its tank and die. That's $700 down the drain, and for perspective my 3 tanks put together cost less than it.
I certainly would like to keep one some day, but I agree that they seem quite overhyped.
I will say that tetras and aros is comparing apples to oranges. Both a beautiful in their own right, but no small fish can capture what a large one like an aro can.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
no small fish can capture what a large one like an aro can.
The subjectivity of this statement is one of the reasons why I'll take, say, neons over arowanas. What draws me to fish are not their size, but their general appearance (color/color patterns, shape, etc) and activity (the more active the better, since it is more visible).
In fact, to an extent (that extent being to the point where it might get eaten by the larger fish within my favorites), the smaller the fish the better. I can have more of them, and I can have more fish in general in that tank.

But certainly, for some, that statement is true. Probably plays into arowana popularity, since few can resist seeing 70-100 cm fish.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The subjectivity of this statement is one of the reasons why I'll take, say, neons over arowanas. What draws me to fish are not their size, but their general appearance (color/color patterns, shape, etc) and activity (the more active the better, since it is more visible).
In fact, to an extent (taht extent being to the point where it might get eaten by the larger fish within my favorites), the smaller the fish the better. I can have more of them, and I can have more fish in general in that tank.

But certainly, for some, that statement is true. Probably plays into arowana popularity, since few can resist seeing 70-100 cm fish.
Each of them is amazing in their own right (the most beautiful tanks have a mix of big and small imo).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store