Unpopular Opinions - Bichirs

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
'In the wild, when a territorial animal comes into contact with another conspecific (belonging to the same species), the smaller animal has the freedom to leave the situation to avoid conflict. In contrast, within a captive environment, the smaller animal doesn’t have the choice; it needs to develop a language to communicate that it is submissive and doesn’t wish to fight. For many species this communication isn’t an option, and they will inevitably clash. Yet for a few of the more tolerant semi-aggressive species, it formed the foundation for a unique social hierarchy to develop in many captive-raised animals - notably bearded dragons and, more recently observed, the bichirs. Similar to carp and salmon, bichirs release a hormone into the water, that, in a closed environment such as a small lake, will stunt their growth - nature’s ingenious resolution to overcrowding. It is speculated that this is where the bichir’s submissive language first originated.

i mean they are:
-older then dinosaurs
-they have lungs
-they are social and even developed a 'language' to communicate in the aquarium hobby.
-they are intelligent
-i love their back fins, almost dragon like
- they eat out your hand and really like to chill with people. I mean mine comes to sit in my hand even when im not feeding. he just really chills in my hands, he can stay there for hours if my back wouldnt hurt after 20min. :hearts:
Woah ... This is so cool never knew about the language thing ! So is stunting good or bad ? I mean If it happens in small Lakes it definitely happens in aquariums no matter how big it is.
Is it unhealthy or is it just the animal being a smaller version of a lets say wild one ?

Last edited:

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Woah ... This is so cool never knew about the language thing ! So is stunting good or bad ? I mean If it happens in small Lakes it definitely happens in aquariums no matter how big it is.
Is it unhealthy or is it just the animal being a smaller version of a lets say wild one ?
i mean its unhealthy but its a way to survive if stuck in small dried up areas with more bichirs.
We humans did something similair in ww2 i thought. People stayed relatively smaller to consume less and to have more energy what makes is easier to survive in harsh conditions. I would speculate that their hormones that inhibit growth have developed due to some similar reason/advantage.
I mean they survived all this time they must have all kinds of great adaptations, little is still known about bichirs.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
i mean its unhealthy but its a way to survive if stuck in small dried up areas with more bichirs.
Ah I see. Also you said they loved chilling with people... I tried to feed mine with my hands but they get spooled. Is it because they are small ?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As of now, your hand is to them a giant predator. They need time to realize you are harmless and are giving food.
As for stunting - it’s good for the fish that does grow, not so much for the ones that don’t.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
As of now, your hand is to them a giant predator. They need time to realize you are harmless and are giving food.
As for stunting - it’s good for the fish that does grow, not so much for the ones that don’t.
Makes sense. Kind of weird that they act like that tho. My Rainbow Shark cleans my hand whenever I put it in the tank and they are the same size . I wonder if Bichirs are smart enough to recognize owners.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Makes sense. Kind of weird that they act like that tho. My Rainbow Shark cleans my hand whenever I put it in the tank and they are the same size . I wonder if Bichirs are smart enough to recognize owners.
Some do I believe - haven’t personally kept any though. I’d definitely get a sen if I had some free tank space (ornate if I had even more).
Different fish have different fear levels and awareness. The bichirs still being juvies definitely makes them more skittish. I honestly don’t think rainbow sharks are afraid of anything…

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Some do I believe - haven’t personally kept any though. I’d definitely get a sen if I had some free tank space (ornate if I had even more).
Different fish have different fear levels and awareness. The bichirs still being juvies definitely makes them more skittish. I honestly don’t think rainbow sharks are afraid of anything…
Seems like you like upper jaw species more like me , I got 2 and the addiction started kicking...Already decided to get a bigger tank and more Bichirs as you know haha.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
they def do, they come up to me but not my girlfriend. I feed them while she doesnt, they atleast know who is feeding them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store