Unpopular Opinions - Bichirs

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
bichirs are super cool. I was a hater when i didn't have space to keep them but i think that was me managing my own impulsiveness

ornates, delhezi and endlis are my favorites. Never owned a Senegalese but would absolutely get an albino.

My ornate is around 18" and always active in the water column. it disappeared for a few months behind a 3d background but popped back out in perfect health.

They are like the best of both worlds of Gar and Spiny eels... IMO

I don't keep many african species aside from bichirs and synodontis catfish and they will always have places in my tanks.

Reactions: Deadeye

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I get that they're big and kinda interesting looking but don't understand why they are as popular as they are

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just to set the record straight for the sake of the thread, the reason I dislike bichirs so much has nothing to do with tank size. Only the ugliness, wasted space in my tanks, and danger to fish I actually like that I mentioned earlier.
I may have said it had to do with tank size before, but to my surprise since then, I have learned that a pair of 1.83m tanks as I have is what bichir keepers would kill to have if they wanted the larger species.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I get that they're big and kinda interesting looking but don't understand why they are as popular as they are
They are a lot like lungfish and giant gourami in that they have endearing personalities. Plus ugly is cute

Reactions: clm08k

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've only ever had one, a big beautiful Ornate that was very active and alert. Lovely fish, had him/her for many years, would probably get another someday.

But...to me they are interesting and unique as "specimen" fish; a cool addition to a carefully-chosen community, very distinctive in body form and behaviour...but I only want one. When I see a tank with a half-dozen or more bichirs, especially when it's just a random mix of assorted species, usually laying around like big spiny turds on the bottom, all looking more or less the same...my reaction is always "Geez...what a waste of tank space..."

Well, you wanted opinions...and they were supposed to be unpopular, so...:)

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I've only ever had one, a big beautiful Ornate that was very active and alert. Lovely fish, had him/her for many years, would probably get another someday.

But...to me they are interesting and unique as "specimen" fish; a cool addition to a carefully-chosen community, very distinctive in body form and behaviour...but I only want one. When I see a tank with a half-dozen or more bichirs, especially when it's just a random mix of assorted species, usually laying around like big spiny turds on the bottom, all looking more or less the same...my reaction is always "Geez...what a waste of tank space..."

Well, you wanted opinions...and they were supposed to be unpopular, so...:)
I agree a pile of logs is rather unslightly! I feel the same way about most plecos

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
n
Just to set the record straight for the sake of the thread, the reason I dislike bichirs so much has nothing to do with tank size. Only the ugliness, wasted space in my tanks, and danger to fish I actually like that I mentioned earlier.
I may have said it had to do with tank size before, but to my surprise since then, I have learned that a pair of 1.83m tanks as I have is what bichir keepers would kill to have if they wanted the larger species.
no personally i wouldnt even keep larger bichirs in 1.8m. I always found my 2 meter tank already quite small for my orni.
In 1.8 senegal, molok, delhezi, palmas should fit but not any of the bigger species

Most species stay relativly small (30cm )but the larger species get way way larger and dont fit in 1.8 or 2meter tanks.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Fair. Nonetheless my point still stands in that whether I have tank space or not is a non factor.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Sure they are not "traditionally cute," but they are so cool looking and become cute after time to those who think otherwise. My albino sen is so charismatic and cute he wins everyone over lol. All he has to do is flap his pec fins or zoom across the tank. Also, they have their own individual personalities, temperaments, and preferences just like cats, dogs, horses etc. My UJs have always had periods of activity during the day, so I cannot comment on keeping logs. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store