UPDATE/noob questions

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
So its been a while since I started to train my bass with the one feeder at a time with pellets in between and they started to hit them.Its been almost 6 days without feeders now and 1 bass of the 9 started to actually eat the pellet but stops after 4 pellets. They all hit the pellets in the current with the 1 only eatting but only a couple.

So my question now is do I coutinue the course without giving in to feed feeders or get feeders since they basically almost went a week without food?

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
So its been a while since I started to train my bass with the one feeder at a time with pellets in between and they started to hit them.Its been almost 6 days without feeders now and 1 bass of the 9 started to actually eat the pellet but stops after 4 pellets. They all hit the pellets in the current with the 1 only eatting but only a couple.

So my question now is do I coutinue the course without giving in to feed feeders or get feeders since they basically almost went a week without food?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Raise your tank temp to 87F and make sure there is plenty of aeration. Crush some pellets and rub it on the feeder before you feed it. This way the bass can get used to the taste of pellets. Repeat pellet training for 6 days.

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
Got it. A week is too long for me to treat them like that. Going to get feeders today and try that. So when you crush them just gently rub it on them or crush the pellet, have a little water in the feeder bowl and let them soak in it??

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
stop the live all together if you can. Do they eat frozen blood worms? Try some frozen silversides if not they will likely take those. Anything but live if you can. Then try pellet training.

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
stop the live all together if you can. Do they eat frozen blood worms? Try some frozen silversides if not they will likely take those. Anything but live if you can. Then try pellet training.
They currently hit everything that hits the water but spit it back out, 1 of the 9 eats \ 3-4 pellets and now a couple of them only eat a pellet and thats it......

What are the possibilities of introducing bass that are already trained or other fish to have them eat pellets more??

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Heres something I've never seen mentioned. I got my first ever pbass about a month ago. Two 3-3.5" wild caught kels, that were fed live by the distributor. So zero training. Within the first week of trying blood worms I caved and got live feeders and a QT tank for the feeders. We all know feeders are not always the healthiest. So I started to freeze them. This kills off pretty much most things that I can think of (besides a few hardy bacteria). I began feeding them whole unthawed feeders and ones that were to big I sliced up into pieces. Bingo off live food in 1 week. And should be easier to convert to other foods in no time. Stated mixing in bits of tilapia and shrimp now.

Reactions: FishNCash

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Heres something I've never seen mentioned. I got my first ever pbass about a month ago. Two 3-3.5" wild caught kels, that were fed live by the distributor. So zero training. Within the first week of trying blood worms I caved and got live feeders and a QT tank for the feeders. We all know feeders are not always the healthiest. So I started to freeze them. This kills off pretty much most things that I can think of (besides a few hardy bacteria). I began feeding them whole unthawed feeders and ones that were to big I sliced up into pieces. Bingo off live food in 1 week. And should be easier to convert to other foods in no time. Stated mixing in bits of tilapia and shrimp now.
this is a good method. I also did this but it’s a bit slimy and gross cutting goldfish. One year my bass still got ich even thought they were fed frozen feeders.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
this is a good method. I also did this but it’s a bit slimy and gross cutting goldfish. One year my bass still got ich even thought they were fed frozen feeders.
Yeah goldies would be a pain. I am using roseys.

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
Right now they only eat live food (roseys) and like 1 pellet each with the 1 bass that eats only a couple.......Ive tried frozen food to meal worms with no dice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store