Using pond treatment on a tank?

kevvang08

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2018
It was green like a wk ago. I need to start doing 50% water change weekly? Your asking me to get seachem safe but what would it be different from seachem prime

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Seems a few have the same notion about increased WC. I got to that opinion based on the limited information so far provided by the OP. I am now a bit confused by the latest pictures. I expected to se a dirty tank with lots of algae but this is not the case in the photo. Tanks looks clean. I know things like ammonia, nitrate and nitrite cannot be seen so some water parameters from a test kit would be useful info.
The OP might be able to develop a WC schedule using water parameters.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
seachem safe but what would it be different from seachem prime
Hello; They are the same stuff in two different forms. One is a premixed liquid and is much more expensive to use. The other is in powder form and is less costly per dose.

kevvang08

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2018
For the powder form seachem safe would it be wise to do it with new water in a bucket or into the tank. When I do water changing I usually put the api treatment first in the tank before fill new water in and with that my temps go up to at least 2 to 3 degrees.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
For the powder form seachem safe would it be wise to do it with new water in a bucket or into the tank. When I do water changing I usually put the api treatment first in the tank before fill new water in and with that my temps go up to at least 2 to 3 degrees.
i do it straight to the tank when filling up...

your temp increase should be from your new water instead of the api? consider doing WC evening or night time and see if it helps

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Algal growth (especially green water type) usually comes from nitrate, fish urine, and other metabolism by-product buildup. A 20-30% water change every 20 days would barely make a dent in any of that buildup. Might look clear, but is fish urine soup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store