UV Sterilizer on your Flowerhorn Tank

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just curious, kind of an informal poll, to see how many fellow Flowerhorn keepers use a UV sterilizer with their Flowerhorn tank?

hesjustincredible

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2018
None here.None there.
Being clear on one thing - The UV sterilizer will only kill free floating algae. Not the algae that grows on the filter and accessories in the tank.

A month ago i was also in a dilemma to get one. But i just used a more efficient power filtration method.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thx for the reply H hesjustincredible , and to be sure that's true. Personally I don't really have any algae issues in my bare bottom tank -- I've recently installed an external (Atman 11 watt) sterilizer for reduction of bad bacteria, parasites, etc., and have adjusted the flow rate appropriately to achieve this Level 1 Sterilization.

Of course same is true with bacteria, pathogens etc., they're only going to get nuked by the UV if they're in the water column, but the idea is once your fish is properly de-wormed & healthy, the cleaner water will reduce the chance of them becoming diseased/infected again.

The reason I brought up the informal poll -- which by the lack of responses tells me there's a good chance most Flowerhorn owners aren't using UV sterilizers -- is that if you look on this thread, sadly about half or at least a third are posts are about sick Flowerhorns...

Yes a big part of this is the over-breeding of a hybrid; and if your FH is from Asia there's a good chance it was raised on (not so clean) bloodworms. And I'm not saying UV is a cure all -- good filtration, water changes etc. are more important -- but I'm just wondering if wider usage of UV sterilizers in FH hobby would at least help somewhat to reduce sickness/mortality rate that is so high nowadays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store