VATF inquiry

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Fatf yes but others you will need bigger tank. I woul say for the more larger ones you will need 600-1500 gallon. Do know what kind you have? Post pictures I or a few others can help you Id. They say vittatus can reach 18”-24” inches. My tank is 72x36x27 being is a fast swimming fish it need more room turn and when it picks up speed it doesn’t hurt himself. Fatf reach around 10”-12” inches so a 180 it could live his whole life.
I’ve been told tiger fish can’t be put in a 180, no matter what species?

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Deadeye

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
So u had this type? how big did it get? Thing is where i am only Vitattus is availble
I can’t distinguish between a forskahlii and a vitattus. If I knew a forskahlii would be in my tank a long time ago.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
So u had this type? how big did it get? Thing is where i am only Vitattus is availble
Thing is a lot of imports call most atf Goliath because they can sell at a higher price. I’ve got a big eye once labeled as a Goliath. Fatf and vatf come mixed in all the time labeled as vatf. If think remember correctly their are three different vatf. Little hard to tell the difference when they are 2-4 inch but as they get bigger you will notice they difference. I had one once but lost him when my power went out. I bought 4 vittatus and two was only true vittatus

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Its incredible of how much of the info on atf is total nonsense! If u want to successfully raise atf u need to keep 1 per tank no matter what specie it is, period! Ur going to lose money and fish chasing this dragon! I have and many have tried in many different tanks and fish sizes in hopes of keeping a school of them. 10 try maybe 1 tops 2 succeed and even those aren't without obstacles. My opinion pick 1 and do ur best raising it. Covering 3 sides is correct and in my experience keeping them in a circular or cylinder shaped tank is best to keep them from bashing their heads and dieing....

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Its incredible of how much of the info on atf is total nonsense! If u want to successfully raise atf u need to keep 1 per tank no matter what specie it is, period! Ur going to lose money and fish chasing this dragon! I have and many have tried in many different tanks and fish sizes in hopes of keeping a school of them. 10 try maybe 1 tops 2 succeed and even those aren't without obstacles. My opinion pick 1 and do ur best raising it. Covering 3 sides is correct and in my experience keeping them in a circular or cylinder shaped tank is best to keep them from bashing their heads and dieing....
Yea I agree but when I see people with 3-4 large ones i just try again. I just put all mines back together abt a month ago

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Yea I agree but when I see people with 3-4 large ones i just try again. I just put all mines back together abt a month ago
U can do whatever u like to I'm just telling u that once they establish a territory it will become a mess. I had a trio in a 600 gal 8x4 that within a month or 2 I started to have major issues. Eventually they started to kill one another and these were 6 to 8 inch fish. Again do what u like but it rarely works out that's why if I was u cut ur losses and keep the one u like the most.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
U can do whatever u like to I'm just telling u that once they establish a territory it will become a mess. I had a trio in a 600 gal 8x4 that within a month or 2 I started to have major issues. Eventually they started to kill one another and these were 6 to 8 inch fish. Again do what u like but it rarely works out that's why if I was u cut ur losses and keep the one u like the most.
so from ur experience how fast is the growth rate say from a 2” to 15”? and if I do plan on keeping one what tank is needed for a solo specimen? Nothing else in the tank just him...and what is the max average size in an aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store