VATF inquiry

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
so from ur experience how fast is the growth rate say from a 2” to 15”? and if I do plan on keeping one what tank is needed for a solo specimen? Nothing else in the tank just him...and what is the max average size in an aquarium?
It can get to those sizes with 12 to 16 months all depending on which species of atf u have. Most get from 3 to 4 inch to 12" within a yrs time maybe slightly longer or sooner all depends upon how u feed them, pellets and frozen once a day or so or a constant supply of feeders 24/7. U can keep other fish as well with them like non aggressive cats such as a tig or irwini....I have mine in a 1500 gal fiberglass tank with a few tank mates. Hes taken a few fish as well. I have a post on this forum if u go back a few weeks u will see it. Gatf update....vatf and their like I've seen up to 20" or so, gatf 4 feet more or less. Could be larger ones out there but not many have gotten to the size mine is. To raise atf to adulthood u must be patient, consistent and disciplined. Whatever u believe goes out the window. These are game fish not tropical fish like a discus or Guppy!

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
It can get to those sizes with 12 to 16 months all depending on which species of atf u have. Most get from 3 to 4 inch to 12" within a yrs time maybe slightly longer or sooner all depends upon how u feed them, pellets and frozen once a day or so or a constant supply of feeders 24/7. U can keep other fish as well with them like non aggressive cats such as a tig or irwini....I have mine in a 1500 gal fiberglass tank with a few tank mates. Hes taken a few fish as well. I have a post on this forum if u go back a few weeks u will see it. Gatf update....vatf and their like I've seen up to 20" or so, gatf 4 feet more or less. Could be larger ones out there but not many have gotten to the size mine is. To raise atf to adulthood u must be patient, consistent and disciplined. Whatever u believe goes out the window. These are game fish not tropical fish like a discus or Guppy!
Oh ok thanks.. I was thinking getting the VATF.. maybe.. my LFS has one but they labeled as true African tiger fish. i asked the guy working and he said vittatus. It’s hard to distinguish bec it’s only 2”-2.5”...

Reactions: Deadeye

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Oh ok thanks.. I was thinking getting the VATF.. maybe.. my LFS has one but they labeled as true African tiger fish. i asked the guy working and he said vittatus. It’s hard to distinguish bec it’s only 2”-2.5”...
Ok some have certain characteristics even when tiny. Google them and perhaps u will come across the one they have for sale or post it on here.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Take a picture of it. They others might be a little hard to tell. But Goliath head is different from them all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store