W13's Creature Feature

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Great looking cat, what was he bought as, albino, leustic?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Haha...much appreciated Rob! I am a very "heavy handed" feeder over here and autodrip systems have improved/extended the life of my specimen so time will tell i suppose.
I was considering having an autodrip through a ro/di+uv on my new tank. Is it really worth the expense and initial hassle?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Great looking cat, what was he bought as, albino, leustic?
Most all are sold as "platinum"... id call it xanthic or golden tho. Ive yet to see a true lucy/platinum rtc. There more white in the 5-6" range there sold at as was my own. Pretty sure theres a few true red eyed albinos out there ive seen pics of from over seas. Black eyes exhibiting orange/red coloration makes them all xanthic in my book. Vince has pointed this out aswell with this fish in particular being sold as "platinum"... True platinums would have no pigment at all.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I was considering having an autodrip through a ro/di+uv on my new tank. Is it really worth the expense and initial hassle?
Sure is...Hands down the best fish improvement/equipment upgrade ive made for my fish in all my years of keeping... if there was ever a day i only had a 10gal...id still use autodrip. It removes the stress caused by waterchanges and offers stability in the system. I dont run any pre filtration on my drip lines as i have no chloramines in the water, just chlorine. Havent seen any issues since 2013 when i set them up. Im pretty lazy these days living on autodrips. Pretty much just turn on lights and feed... With my low stocks i can go 4-6 months up to a year without any filter sock cleanings lol... Def. changed my life and my specimens for the better by leaps and bounds. Shout out to DIDYSIS DIDYSIS for answering my "plea for help" back in 2012 when i was havin problems keeping up with my hoard and providing adequate quality of life. Drip systems are pretty easy to install and can be made cheaply with parts from a hardware store. I run 1/4" ice make tubing, hommade pressure regulator valves and drip emitters made for irragation/sprinkler systems. very easy to plug and play with.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Sure is...Hands down the best fish improvement/equipment upgrade ive made for my fish in all my years of keeping... if there was ever a day i only had a 10gal...id still use autodrip. It removes the stress caused by waterchanges and offers stability in the system. I dont run any pre filtration on my drip lines as i have no chloramines in the water, just chlorine. Havent seen any issues since 2013 when i set them up. Im pretty lazy these days living on autodrips. Pretty much just turn on lights and feed... With my low stocks i can go 4-6 months up to a year without any filter sock cleanings lol... Def. changed my life and my specimens for the better by leaps and bounds. Shout out to DIDYSIS DIDYSIS for answering my "plea for help" back in 2012 when i was havin problems keeping up with my hoard and providing adequate quality of life. Drip systems are pretty easy to install and can be made cheaply with parts from a hardware store. I run 1/4" ice make tubing, hommade pressure regulator valves and drip emitters made for irragation/sprinkler systems. very easy to plug and play with.
Out-freaking-standing. I'm definitely going to do this route when I get my new setup. The main reason I want to do ro/di is to soften my liquid Rock for my Amazon species. Other than that, I really don't see much of a need tbh. I'm on a well.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Out-freaking-standing. I'm definitely going to do this route when I get my new setup. The main reason I want to do ro/di is to soften my liquid Rock for my Amazon species. Other than that, I really don't see much of a need tbh. I'm on a well.
You wont be disapointed, not much too it either honestly setup/parts wise. Hardest part is drillin holes in the tanks if there glass.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What's the hardness like? Our water is silky here, 1 degree Kh and <5 Gh haha. A drip would be the best thing for me right now

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
What's the hardness like? Our water is silky here, 1 degree Kh and <5 Gh haha. A drip would be the best thing for me right now
Im not even sure lol... i had a company come out from home depot for a free water test. nothing was out of the ordinary or alarming enough for me to get pre filtration. I have alot of calcium in my tap/source water so its a bit hard but i havent had any trouble other than replacing the drip emitters every so often when they clog with calcium. The emitters are cheap anyway and sold in paks of 15-20 so it works out. A bag will last me a cple yrs for $5-6 if there even that much i can't remember as i dont order often. Also use no additives, no prime nor salt. Every once in a blue moon ill use solar salt for knicks/cuts or if i need to do a manual water change on a tank with breeding/birthing stingray debris. Thats only maybe 1-3 times a year. Most the time im 2 lazy to even do that and just add another drip emitter to the tank to flush it out lol...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm not sure honestly. What I do know is that when the county had to do an assessment on my well, the pH was 9.0 and the hardness was listed at ">1000 ppm". That converts to at least 70 degrees of hardness, though it didn't say if that was gh or kh.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm not sure honestly. What I do know is that when the county had to do an assessment on my well, the pH was 9.0 and the hardness was listed at ">1000 ppm". That converts to at least 70 degrees of hardness, though it didn't say if that was gh or kh.
Okay that's scary! You'd need to filter that indeed, maybe route a bit of the wastewater into the mix so you have some hardness in your water :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store