Wal-Mart fish guide

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Walmarts don't take care of the fish at all. I actually feed there fish when I go. There is always multiple dead fish and more times then not they oscars have ick and just look like crap.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Walmarts don't take care of the fish at all. I actually feed there fish when I go. There is always multiple dead fish and more times then not they oscars have ick and just look like crap.
I would go throw some bacteria in their filtration when no one is looking. Did you know that they don't even sell the bacteria at my Walmart?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
This really is a true statement. Pacu do grow to 10", but then they grow to 15", 20", 30".......

They didn't specify what "larger" aquariums were. The baby oscars were gigantic compared with the baby pacu.

Somebody got sold on the babies. Of course, then the fish got big, and the people moved away. We got a good deal at a moving away yard sale--$85 for the 55 gallon tank, the 4 oscars, 2 plecos and 2 15" pacu who had difficulty turning around in the 12" wide tank.

To their credit, I went into WalMart and spoke to the manager in charge of fish. I showed him this picture, and our local WalMart stopped selling pacu.

There are other businesses that sell things which require stuff that they don't carry--I bought 19.5" tile (27+" on the diagonal) and they did not have a tile saw big enough to cut the tile. There was no place in town that had a big enough tile saw for that tile. To me that's similar to selling fish, but not having the appropriate sized tank for the fish. I guess it's all about making a profit. Once you walk out the door with the fish (or tile) it becomes your problem.

Reactions: Hendre

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When I go to WalMart I have no idea what is in their rinky dink aquarium section as I have never bothered to take a look.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The only thing I get from the pet section is cat litter and occasional dog food for my mother's dogs.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Pacu creep me out. My first time seeing four big ones was in the LFS. They didn't swim they just hovered there staring at me and my fiancé. Every time we turned around they were staring at us. It was like a painting that the eyes always follow you. Creepy creepy fish.

Reactions: convict360

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Ha ha!!! I feel that I'm the one in the fish tank when I am around my fish. They are extremely interactive and are very curious about the world outside of their tank. I can't get a decent picture of one of my fish, because he is always facing me, or turning. When we first got our fish, our cat, who had "only indoor pet" status became very jealous when we would watch the fish, she would cry piteously. We told her that she could be our pacu kitten. My husband would hold her up, rocking her while saying, "Pacu Kitten goes swim swim swim, pacu kitten goes swim swim swim" as he walked in front of the fish tank. There was literally a parade with the pacu swimming along side husband and cat--back and forth, back and forth the length of the tank.

Yes, they stare, but only because they are friendly, curious fish.

Reactions: Lawlboom

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is why im happy we dont have chain stores here (south africa) and people at all the fish shops ive been too have good condition fish, dont sell sick ones and the employees know what their speakig about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store