Water change sunday anyone?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I switched from Saturdays to Sunday water change day, 3 tanks, 180, 95 and 145. fin level, about 3.5 hours.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Missed this thread about time it came back, my tanks due tomorrow

Bluethousandand2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2016
I do water change mondays, when I get back from school the first day of the week, I already feel like killing myself, why not add one more thing to the list? :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
funny, I use to water change Saturday so I could lay like a ragdoll on the couch all day Sunday watching NFL. After last season that changed up to lay on the couch all day Saturday watching movies and work Sunday. I need to switch back.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It's a No for me because I'm carbon dosing daily, my system is Nitrate free for life (as long as I'm still alive lol) until I stop dosing carbon :)
Can you please elaborate on this, or can any other seasoned marine keeper weigh in on this.

I'm curious, as instinct would tell me that it's not possible to not change water (however infrequently) in a closed system, unless maybe it was massive?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Can you please elaborate on this, or can any other seasoned marine keeper weigh in on this.

I'm curious, as instinct would tell me that it's not possible to not change water (however infrequently) in a closed system, unless maybe it was massive?
Well, long story short. Carbon dosing aka Vodka dosing in marine system is not new to this hobby. We tried trials and errors with dosing many years ago and some experience marine keeper collected all data and post up a chart how to use vodka/sugar/vinegar in marine system. Here is a link from a focus marine forum that explain how carbon works in marine system, you can google and see many results.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
Although, most marine keepers now tent to use Biopellet Reactor but some other folks, included me still use Vodka as the source to eliminate Nitrate.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Well, long story short. Carbon dosing aka Vodka dosing in marine system is not new to this hobby. We tried trials and errors with dosing many years ago and some experience marine keeper collected all data and post up a chart how to use vodka/sugar/vinegar in marine system. Here is a link from a focus marine forum that explain how carbon works in marine system, you can google and see many results.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
Although, most marine keepers now tent to use Biopellet Reactor but some other folks, included me still use Vodka as the source to eliminate Nitrate.
Still though, don't you get a build up in the total dissolved solids in the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store