Water change sunday anyone?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
No idea lol, I'm trying to learn here haha
Well protein skimming removes the dissolved organics as far as i know, Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa can you inform us?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Still though, don't you get a build up in the total dissolved solids in the water?
*Fish waste will be pickup by filter and bacteria that holding nitrate by protein skimmer (strong protein skimmer is a must and strong/turbulent circulation is recommended for carbon dosing) so no waste sitting on bottom or just vacuum those waste out that collected at some area in tank.
*You will have to dose minerals daily or weekly that loss cause no water change (top off with fresh water that loss cause evaporation, or salt water if your salinity went down).
Notes:
There is a risk with carbon dosing that if you don't have enough circulation your live stock will die due to Oxygen got depleted by massive bacteria army. If you power out and you're not home for long time then probably you looking at a possible wipe out entire tank so setup some sort of battery back up to provide enough Oxygen for your live stock during power outage.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I do mine once a week as well but never a set day. Usually 1 day in the weekend. Question for you guys. When filling a tank with the hose, how are you heating them up during the winter? My water is freezing during the winter and drops the temp down considerably

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The hose I fill with is hooked up to the hot and cold of my washing machine via "y" connectors that I can turn on and off bit by bit to adjust temp and then after the "y "connectors i bring the hoses back together with a "t" so it one hose in the tank...... I need to make a hose head with a valve on it that will aim the water upward so I do not disturb my substrate...

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Water changes this time of the year are the worst. All I the water I drain from my tanks goes outside. And it's hard to not get your hands wet so going outside in 50 degree weather with wet hands is always unpleasant.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I did mine on Saturday since i was away the whole of Sunday

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
My wife gets mad at me. When the hot water heater does not fill, the bath tube. With 110F water. Water change times can get a little tricky.
I have it all set up on ball valves. So it is quick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store