Water Cow Goby

HipHopGoldfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2018
You’re not being annoying, you’re asking for advice and being very respectful while doing so.

Typically when I’m wanting to find a fish I like I’ll look up sites that sell fish online and look at all of what they have. If you REALLY want to find some unusual fish then I’d go to thewetspot.com and look at their list. They don’t have pictures so you’ll have to look up the fish individually but trust me it’s worth it.
I’ll look at some sites for you.
Also it’s not a fish but how about an african clawed frog? They can get to about 6 inches and you can keep a few in a 40 gallon breeder.
Im gonna be honest, i dont really want to keep any amphibians at the time. Although i was thinking about getting an Axolotl, I went back to just thinking about fish after that. Appreciate the website link, thank you guys for all the friendly help!

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Plus it could eat shrimp and what not if you could breed your own supply.
Just in case tou didn't know, it’s not a good idea to buy feeder fish to feed your fish since they’re likely to carry diseases. Breeding your own guppies, shrimp, or whatnot in a 10 gallon would be a much better idea and everyone here will agree with me on that.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
^^ a school of exodon would be awesome! Ctenopoma are a pretty cool small predator.
I was suprised no one said it until now. I was thinking it the whole time I read this. Ctenopoma, or leopard bush fish also called a African leaf fish but there is actually another african leaf fish that more resembles a leaf. Ctenopoma are ambush predators and like to camouflage into the plants and wood in the tank. Pretty easy to find as I got mine from petsmart at about the size of a quarter for $8. Hes a great fish.
Someone else said butterfly fish also a very cool little predator. Just need a top to the tank and you'll need to keep the water level low enough as they typically stay at the top. Mine eats krill from my fingers. Its like a small long fin arowana. I had 3 which were living together for a while and suddenly 2 ganged up on the one and it had to be rehomed. So I dont know how well they can be kept in groups. The 2 would fight from time to time also.
Like Chicxulub Chicxulub said the wolf fish looks pretty good and from everything ive seen or read they are pretty fierce. I've never owned one. I think you need to be careful in which ones you get as I think some get really big.
Also stated above is one of my favorites polys! Polypturus or Bichirs are a great fish, ancient predators. You could get a couple senagals in that tank no problem they are cute and fun to watch. Sens would be the limit on what kind you could get because of tank size. Maybe a polli but they say those get 12" while ive had mine 2 years + and she is only 6ish". Also need a lid.
I'd go out on a limb and say you need a lid with any fish but probably with all the fish we have listed here especially.
Last but certainly not least Welcome to the forums!
I'm not gonna lecture you just know there has been in influx of google know it alls lately. Watch out for them like said above look for medals next to the name look, at fish type under the name the bigger the fish then more posts and time here. On that, time here doesnt matter so much but time in the hobby is vital for hands on experiance.
Good luck and have fun.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Not sure I agree with any fish suggested aside from the ery. Exodons I'd say would be for more experienced keepers since they kill eachother. Butterfly fish can be hard to get onto pellets apparently but not ime, they stay small so may be a good option but there size doesn't allow for much predatory nature, can feed small crickets. But doesn't seem like what he wants. Will more so outright chase prey rather than ambush. Why not try chaca chaca catfish? Surprise kno4te didn't mention them. or you can try smaller goby species. Or if you could find butis butis they're nice, I had three when I was young, but they got killed by a jack Dempsey so would advise if housing with anything that more than semi territorial but in a 40g you've not got much room. Those are two small ambush predators who rely on camouflage that come to mind.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Well the good thing about the marble goby is, it is delicious regardless if you steam it, fry it or claypot it...

So don't worry about it outgrowing the tank lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store