Water quality - low ph

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
any alkaline buffer suggestions?

I read something from petco about using it but only see for marine. Shouldn't be too big of a deal if I'm adding crushed coral should it?

No it will work like the bicarbonate in the ph up only a safer and slowly. I've done this in the past with no adverse affects but actually don't use it anymore.
Where I reside now the ph from the tap is where I like it.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Good deal. I next day ordered some ph up and also some ph and alkaline stabilizer. I will get the crushed coral when I can get to the store. Currently... that will be Saturday, Friday maybe. I think we have a Thursday ball game so I should have Friday freed up when school lets out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
any alkaline buffer suggestions?

I read something from petco about using it but only see for marine. Shouldn't be too big of a deal if I'm adding crushed coral should it?

Don't know about the Gourami but most Amazonian fish like Angelfish and Tetras prefer the 6.5 ph range.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Ooops...here's the water report for Ruston.

http://www.ruston.org/downloads/annual_water_quality_report_-_2015.pdf

Any way, this came up a week ago in another thread.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/fish-disease.692699/

You had a tank that you had to leave for a couple weeks, then you moved all the fish. It seemed that you then had ammonia spikes but afaik there was never any posting of water parameters.

Please test and post:

-your tap water pH
-tank water pH
-and tank ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post it.

If you have kH that would help also. Otherwise, it could get very expensive and frustrating if you are trying to fix something that can't be fixed easily or that isn't really the problem.

Last edited:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
...otoh, if your pH drops that far, that fast, buffering with coral or some other product is going to be a good thing. If it were me, I'd still test the water.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store