Water quality - low ph

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
What pH test are you using? Is it a liquid kit or test strips?

What the pH is when it exits the tap doesn't necessarily mean anything. After the water vents with the atmosphere your pH will almost certainly change. Your tap water contains dissolved CO2 which lowers pH. That will gas out. Measure the pH again after 24 hours and it will almost certainly 7 if you performed a large water change.

You don't want to increase your alkalinity/KH unless you need to. It might be fine. In any case, don't use any pH up or alkaline stabalizer, neutralizer or other of those products.

Crushed coral can be used very cautiously but you need to know and measure your KH if adding it.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
alrighty... 1 day air became 2 day air. I lost the rest of the feeder fish today. at least my crocodile ate. the mollies are moving a little less today and I dropped the temp now that my heater situation is fixed. the new thermostat is on the way. the kh/oh issue should be clearing up tomorrow.

I got ready to mix some more water and saw that there was blue sand? I'm thinking chlorine but am unsure. fluoride? I didn't get a chance to call out to our water district because ironically, my band room flooded when the sink faucet burst. apparently the handles were left on and the spigot was clogged so when the vibration got to it, the spigot burst and I ended up cleaning my room through lunch. Let me know what y'all think.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I did move and have to set it up again. I've done that before and had fish bounce back a lot better. That blue sand is something I haven't encountered though.

I got maybe lucky and found a can of ph 8.2 in my supply drawer. I missed it when I looked for it yesterday but went ahead and did a half dose today. Fish are swimming much more happy now. I bought some water at walmart as well because the reseal is done on another aquarium and I needed it filled up again but didn't want to use the tap water since it seems to be killing the fish. My heater is still catching up so I don't know of a better situation with it as of yet. Once I figure out my water quality, I'll see if my under sink filter or RO system can do the trick. If I have to buy water... so be it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store