Weeksii or buetikofferi a.k.a gold dust??

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I think i have decided what to get, WEEKSII!
Thats what I would have chosen, wait I did choose it, lol.

Are you going to keep all your grow outs? Or you looking to keep just the ones you like most? I do see that you also need a teugelsi and a lap of some sort... So many polys left to get!

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thats what I would have chosen, wait I did choose it, lol.

Are you going to keep all your grow outs? Or you looking to keep just the ones you like most? I do see that you also need a teugelsi and a lap of some sort... So many polys left to get!
Im going to keep them all my big ones are going to my big tank, then all my sen staying in my 100gal tank. Might leave the buettikoferi with the sen, if i end up getting one. Then i might get the larger species when most of my endli and my ornate gets bigger. Its hard to get the other species special most off them are getting sold in big size.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Yep, rare to find smaller (and cheaper!) of many of the more exotic bichirs. Seem like 7-9" are about he smallest of the wc you generally see and those ones seem to go fast and then the choices start to get more toward the 13-15" range where the prices start to really go up and shipping even gets to be more. With the weeksii expect ultra slow growth. So splurge a bit and try to get something not too little. I got mine at 7" and it is now 13" but that has taken quite a few years. And that is saying it was raised in a 210g tank, with good food, frequent water changes, no stress or agression toward it. Pretty much the ideal growing environment yet slow to see size.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Yep, rare to find smaller (and cheaper!) of many of the more exotic bichirs. Seem like 7-9" are about he smallest of the wc you generally see and those ones seem to go fast and then the choices start to get more toward the 13-15" range where the prices start to really go up and shipping even gets to be more. With the weeksii expect ultra slow growth. So splurge a bit and try to get something not too little. I got mine at 7" and it is now 13" but that has taken quite a few years. And that is saying it was raised in a 210g tank, with good food, frequent water changes, no stress or agression toward it. Pretty much the ideal growing environment yet slow to see size.
I thought about that too, i going to keep the weeksii with the sen when i move the other, the one im going to get is a 5" at the wetspottropical, since the weeksii is a slow grower i fnt have to worry about getting eaten or any aggression from the sen.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
But right now im mainly focusing on upper jaw species, some on my got to have list are weeksii, buettikoferi, retro, & palmas palmas. Does teugelsi grow big?? I know its a upper jaw?? What else upper gaw species out there??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
But right now im mainly focusing on upper jaw species, some on my got to have list are weeksii, buettikoferi, retro, & palmas palmas. Does teugelsi grow big?? I know its a upper jaw?? What else upper gaw species out there??
Ornate,moke, and palmas polli. Teugelsi can get up to 24inches wc. If CB then 16-19 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store