Wet pet / mini monster?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Well yesterday was a sad day. My 10" Jaguar that I have had for a year now and raised from 4" died. He was a wet pet and had the tank to himself. No idea how he got sick because water quality was always in check since I am very ocd/regimented about caring for all my tanks. Seemed like some sort of internal infection/fungus that just did not react to any meds I tried on him for the past 2 weeks.

Anyway, I now have a 120g 4'x2'x2' tank open and just trying to kick around some ideas of what I want to do with it. Still like Jag's but not sure if I really want another one right now. 4x2x2 is a good size tank but obviously not big enough for any true "Monsters" like gar or aro's or anything of that nature. Not a fan of things like Dovii or flowerhorns. Was kicking around the idea of a Black ghost knife but hear they are pretty nocturnal and not sure I want a big tank with a fish I never see. Anyone got any ideas for mini-monsters maybe I'm not thinking of yet?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well yesterday was a sad day. My 10" Jaguar that I have had for a year now and raised from 4" died. He was a wet pet and had the tank to himself. No idea how he got sick because water quality was always in check since I am very ocd/regimented about caring for all my tanks. Seemed like some sort of internal infection/fungus that just did not react to any meds I tried on him for the past 2 weeks.

Anyway, I now have a 120g 4'x2'x2' tank open and just trying to kick around some ideas of what I want to do with it. Still like Jag's but not sure if I really want another one right now. 4x2x2 is a good size tank but obviously not big enough for any true "Monsters" like gar or aro's or anything of that nature. Not a fan of things like Dovii or flowerhorns. Was kicking around the idea of a Black ghost knife but hear they are pretty nocturnal and not sure I want a big tank with a fish I never see. Anyone got any ideas for mini-monsters maybe I'm not thinking of yet?

Checkout Polypterus and see if you like them.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Fire eel, tire track eel, peacock eel, knifefish, bichirs, lungfish, snake heads if they're legal, pirhanas are a bit boring, I would avoid an armatus tetra, elephant fish aren't really predators but still really cool, fahaka puffer would be really cramped, African butterfly fish, south American leaf fish, African leaf fish, pike cichlids, cow goby, potato puffer, pak puffer, you could go brackish and get a freshwater moray, spaghetti eel, freshwater lionfish, toadfish, oyster fish, anableps aren't oddballs but are really cool. BTW, those are just off the top of my head, there's plenty more......

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Here is a sum up of a buttikoferi cichlid. They are GIGANTIC, they are always starving, and they are quite possibly the 1# meanest, most bloodthirsty fish in the hobby.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
My Channa stewartii is by far the most intelligent and interactive fish I have ever seen or heard of, it's almost unsettling. Hands down the coolest fish ever.

Too bad you guys are restricted from keeping snakeheads :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store