We've all purchased fish that we regret - please help me with mine!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm thinking that if you owned it for a year and it's only 5 inches that it may not be a giant gourami .. Post a pic or what color is it ?
I was thinking about that too.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I'm thinking that if you owned it for a year and it's only 5 inches that it may not be a giant gourami .. Post a pic or what color is it ?
It was about 3 inches when I bought it, and I don't have a photo of him but I found one View attachment 1304443that looks JUST like him He's actually a bit darker and his features are finer, but this is his basic coloration and form.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hahah nope. 75 gallons.
What else is in there,and do they get along ? I've never kept one but I suspect that a giant gouramy has to be bigger than a mere five inches after a year's time...at this rate it could stay in that tank for quite a while as long there are no aggression issues.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
What else is in there,and do they get along ? I've never kept one but I suspect that a giant gouramy has to be bigger than a mere five inches after a year's time...at this rate it could stay in that tank for quite a while as long there are no aggression issues.
Juvenile payara (scomb) to grow out, African knife fish, rocket gar, African featherfin catfish, jack dempsey. Everyone gets along so far.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Why not take a photo?
I would, but a nearly identical looking fish will be a lot more useful than a blurry photo with a crappy camera. The poor lil gourami is bottom of the pecking order and is extremely shy. She won't even approach the glass when I'm around, unless the lights are all off. I'm really sorry for the spotty evidence, I just needed ideas of what to do with her. She is very cute and I'm sure she'd make a great pet. My mom wants me to euthanize her via freezer, but I absolutely will NOT do that.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They do get about 3 feet long, and prefer a vegetarian diet, the more they age.
My 3 would eat an entire head of romaine lettuce at a sitting, I grew them out in a 150 gal, but moved to a 300 gal in less than 2 years. They can get quite aggressive if cramped
and are considered a good eating fish (for human consumption) where they come from in South East Asia, another option down the road.
They also tend to lose that cute look (for some) as they age, which might make euthanizing them less traumatizing.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
They do get about 3 feet long, and prefer a vegetarian diet, the more they age.
My 3 would eat an entire head of romaine lettuce at a sitting, I grew them out in a 150 gal, but moved to a 300 gal in less than 2 years. They can get quite aggressive if cramped
and are considered a good eating fish (for human consumption) where they come from in South East Asia, another option down the road.
They also tend to lose that cute look (for some) as they age, which might make euthanizing them less traumatizing.
I just don't want to hurt a fish because of a mistake of my own. It didn't do anything wrong; it is just being itself and can't change, so why punish it for it? I haven't heard back from the aquarium yet - I'll try and find alternatives soon, it's just so hard because no store wants a fast growing, large and possibly aggressive fish haha

Reactions: Not_My_Rules
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store