Joe Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
southern mass
fishbum;4623413; said:
Ken has good food too.

http://kensfish.com/
+1 for Kens Fish if your looking for quality bulk food check him out.His prices are incredibly cheap and the food is made from top quality ingredients. Roger Williams University uses his products at their marine biology research center and I belive they helped him with the formula for many of his foods

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I personally think that it's a bit of a stretch to refer to ingredients such as; Poultry By-product Meal, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Blood Pork Meal, Soybean Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Middlings, and Soy Flour as " top quality" ingredients. His food is cheap due to the cheap ingredients used in most of his food. In a number of his pellet foods, "wheat" is the main ingredient.

Ken doesn't manufacture his own line of food, he simply private labels commercial feed made by a feed mill (or mills). IMO if you prefer to feed that type of quality of feed to your fish, buy directly from a feed mill yourself, or consider one of the various feed mill foods that are sold at local hardware stores. (such as the 50lb bags of Purina Aquamax)

You'll save a BUNDLE of $$$ over the long haul.

With today's economy the way that it is I can certainly understand if some people choose to go that route, but don't be so naive as to think that you can buy "top quality" premium food, for bottom of the barrel prices.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
alexmuw;4624927; said:
Any spokespersons on here? Seems like some went far and beyond just a simple reply.

Yeah we're also all spokespersons for FX5s. ;)

Check my other 1000 posts and see if you still think I'm a spokesman.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I must have missed where the OP asked for only simple replies. My bad.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With responses like that, Barnum & Bailey should have been in the fish food biz. They also never did supply the form of starch used in that formula, so I guess that info will remain an enigma.

While carbohydrates can indeed act as a source of energy for most species of fish, the reality is that study after study over the past 50 years has concluded that the vast majority of carnivorous species of fish assimilate animal protein & their fatty acids (fish, krill, shrimp, squid, etc) FAR more efficiently than they do starch. Common sense alone should be enough for the average layperson to understand that a carnivore will do better on marine proteins & fat, than corn flakes.

Hikari would have everyone believing that those types of ingredients cause a negative impact on the fishes environment (water quality) when the reality is that all that is required to resolve that side of the equation is to perform regular water changes.

These are the exact same people who would have one believe the following. Post # 162
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284825&page=17

And keep in mind that letter came from their top researcher in Japan.

Whoa .........

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
nes999;4625153; said:
HikariSalesUSA;4535270; said:
Starch can be a very effective, highly concentrated carbohydrate source and quite effective for carnivorous fish, when processed properly. Of course, as has been mentioned in this post previously, there is some concern that carnivores cannot digest a carb source as easily as herbivorous fish might. This is why the type is important and why we only use a purified form.
Exactly how did that answer what the starch was derived from? They also did not address the concerns about MSG or 'Dried Bakery Product'. Post 84 happened after those questions were raised, and the questions were effectively ignored and/or dodged. They're trying to bombard you with information in an attempt to make you forget what the original issue was. Classic ploy during debates when you cannot defend your position.

jus1time

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2007
raleigh nc
I didnt read all the posts in this thread. The fish food industry is not obligated to place the ingredients in the order in which they are greatest first. Also their method of determining such is mimimal at best.

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
RD.;4625203; said:
what purpose such a large inclusion rate of starch plays in a diet that according to Hikari was developed for BIG carnivorous fish?

HikariSalesUSA;4535270; said:
Yes, Hikari(R) operated a fully staffed research facility in Japan which conducted ongoing research on all of our diets, and also the ingredients we currently use and those we think might prove to be beneficial if used in the future. We are keenly focused on developing diets that avoid any fat deposit build-up as we know from our research the significant impact this can have on fish and their length of life.

Starch can be a very effective, highly concentrated carbohydrate source and quite effective for carnivorous fish, when processed properly. Of course, as has been mentioned in this post previously, there is some concern that carnivores cannot digest a carb source as easily as herbivorous fish might. This is why the type is important and why we only use a purified form.

Same as you and I, fish require metabolic energy to stay alive. A carbohydrate, when processed properly during production, is a “very clean" energy source for your fish. Once consumed the by-products are only CO2 and H2O, unlike a protein or lipid which causes Nitrate and Phosphate. So for fish kept in an enclosed aquarium, it is a better option to maintain good fish health to use a “clean energy source” instead of one that can negatively impact the water quality which will negatively impact the health of the fish over time.

As many have suggested in this forum, simple logic says that carnivores should not take in high levels of the carbohydrates as this is not "viewed" as part of their natural diet, but if the carbohydrate is converted to a more usable form this may not actually be true. Please remember, we are not keeping these fish in their natural habitat, nor do they have the normal activity level or food sources available to them they would have in the wild. For these reasons, developing a diet that provides them the balanced nutrition they require, in a form they can use at a high efficiency level without causing a negative impact to their environment becomes a primary focus for a responsible maker of their daily diet.

For these reasons, we use a lab developed level of carbohydrates (such as starch) for our carnivore diets, and this is one of the reasons our product quality is always reliable and considered outstanding by top hobbyists who actually have first hand experience using our products over longer time horizons.

Start reading at the 2nd paragraph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store