What are these polys doing?

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys,
I have taken a video however this site dosnt seem to allow me to post it. So you only have a few pics.

There are 2x polyeptrus Seneglaus in this 5ft 100gal, along with syndontis, Oscar and some SDs.

So the Polys rub up right next to each other, top to tail, and start rubbing their bodies/bumping against each other. All their fins raised. This can go on for quite some time.

I have been noticing this behavior more and more often.

There is no aggression, just keen to know what it may be.

76B9ADA7-ADE8-4A9D-A428-E084EBD7FA2B.jpeg 5F8BEAF6-AAFA-4969-BE62-0DF69AD38EF0.jpeg E53F1BAE-3771-4D28-9AA2-9B3AACEC3DE4.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After looking at the pic above again today the first Sen looks female possibly gravid.
My experience of having Senegals is that nudging and even little head bobs is how they communicate and like stated post a short vid.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yes head bobs and pectoral fin "standing" and even dorsal fin raising are all ways they comunicate. The rubbing is probably courting behavior. My sen started that when I added a large female del to the tank, the sen is deffinatly a male. Oh and the female del kind of ignores him so either she's not ready or just more likely just not interested in him.....

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
let’s not forget planking ;) head bobs and pec standing are so cool. I wonder if the pec standing is a dominance behavior?
From what I've noticed it seems to be. Not so much I'm the boss but more like I'm willing and big enough to defend X. (Where X is itself or favored spot). Seems more of a bluff situation but most of the time the other swims off. They don't really seem willing to fight over alot. I do like the dominance tussles of who's going to be o the bottom of the pile, most of the time one will move instead of being bumped to the top of the pile.

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store