What are your other hobbies

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My god, you lot are a busy bunch, i'm surprised you have enough time left over to actually keep fish!

My hobbies have evolved over the years. I used to do a lot of running, now my ageing joints don't like it so I try not to. I used to do hell of a lot of cycling, I still do quite a bit but age has slowed me down somewhat. I used to do a lot of freshwater fishing but my ageing bones can't take the usually very inclement uk weather, so i'm a fine weather fisherman only now. And a new one which I started about 2 years ago is winemaking.

Writing this just made me realise how old i'm getting!!:uhoh:

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
That international is gonna be a sweet rig when you get it done.
im working on the 53 right now. I got it on a c10 chevy frame with a 454/th400 just working on cab mount fab. I really want to get to that 37 but im still collecting parts for it. trying to find useable old school speed equipment is a challenge!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I already made a thread in the photo lounge but I do skeletal taxidermy as a job/hobby also wire tying and gothic Jewlery. I do artwork some as well.

IMG_20200108_202133_704.jpgIMG_0901.JPGIMG_20200102_075237_282.jpgIMG_20191231_174807_744.jpgIMG_20191217_204811_560.jpgIMG_20191019_160713_286.jpgIMG_20190912_215431_389.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Loving all the interesting hobbies :headbang2

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
A lot of talent here. Nice work everyone. Wouldn’t mind a few pieces of art from fellow members to fill the walls of my home. Pming a few of you!

I am a geologist by trade (technically geologist in training), I’ve been doing acrylic work for a long time now. Anything from aquariums (mainly) to wedding decorations. I do a fair bit of woodwork involving mainly live edge pieces and epoxy resin.

I have been an avid boater all my life as I was born and raised at a family owned marina. I do a lot of fishing as well. I have won and entered a few tournaments over the years.

During winter you will find me out on the outdoor public rinks playing hockey a few times a week or in the powder snowmobiling.

I go to the gym around 5 times a week although I have been slacking for the past 2 months due to a new girlfriend (last one was removed to continue fish keeping hobby) taking up most of my time. Fortunately this has allowed me to accomplish a dirty bulk pushing my weight close to 190 lbs. I’m normally sitting around 170 lbs. the next 4 months I should be back at it again 5 times a week.

I recently have been bit by the travel bug and have visited multiple bucket list destinations in the past couple years. On vacation I enjoy relaxing at the beach, going on hikes, or finding that spectacular hidden gem of a restaurant.

I do enjoy cooking but living alone makes most of my dishes very simple as I eat for sustenance. When I have guests is when the meal becomes more complex and requires more work in the kitchen.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I used to spend a lot of time working on my old Plymouth back in the 80's, but she has only been driven once since 1995.
EDP.jpg

I started to re-finish the entire car in 2010, but life intruded on my plans. My mom got sick and passed away, I was forced to retire. I had eye surgery. Wife broke her leg, We remodeled the house & garage & yard & built a shed. My truck got totaled, I moved offices, Rebuilt my network at work and at home. We consolidated my dozen fish tanks into three large systems.

Somehow ten years has slipped away since I started stripping down Edith d' Plymouth to bare steel, and that's as far as it got. It's been in pieces for several years now, and I'm just starting to think about it again.

Lots of surface rust, but the body is still very solid.
eback.jpg

Lots of stripper and scotchbrite removed 30 year old coats of bondo and paint.
DSCF7705.JPG

Lots of ancient spots and dings underneath.
DSCF8188.JPG

Bare shell on a cart.
DSCF8202.JPG

Stripping the doors...
DSCF8200.JPG

That's pretty much where it sits now, shell still on frame and rear fenders still bolted on.

This car can never be "restored". It was constructed from parts of other cars back in the 1970's. That was never my intention. I wanted to turn this boring lowrider into a 2-seat roadster.

Now that I'm retired and the stock market is booming, I'm turning back to this car again.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
I used to spend a lot of time working on my old Plymouth back in the 80's, but she has only been driven once since 1995.
View attachment 1401838

I started to re-finish the entire car in 2010, but life intruded on my plans. My mom got sick and passed away, I was forced to retire. I had eye surgery. Wife broke her leg, We remodeled the house & garage & yard & built a shed. My truck got totaled, I moved offices, Rebuilt my network at work and at home. We consolidated my dozen fish tanks into three large systems.

Somehow ten years has slipped away since I started stripping down Edith d' Plymouth to bare steel, and that's as far as it got. It's been in pieces for several years now, and I'm just starting to think about it again.

Lots of surface rust, but the body is still very solid.
View attachment 1401839

Lots of stripper and scotchbrite removed 30 year old coats of bondo and paint.
View attachment 1401842

Lots of ancient spots and dings underneath.
View attachment 1401841

Bare shell on a cart.
View attachment 1401843

Stripping the doors...
View attachment 1401844

That's pretty much where it sits now, shell still on frame and rear fenders still bolted on.

This car can never be "restored". It was constructed from parts of other cars back in the 1970's. That was never my intention. I wanted to turn this boring lowrider into a 2-seat roadster.

Now that I'm retired and the stock market is booming, I'm turning back to this car again.

This is great!!! Life is life
Glad you kept it thanks for sharing this

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
way cool Ulu!
Well it's now just a pile of junk but someday I may be able to get it back together. As you can see I'm doing all the stripping outdoors under a temporary awning.

Unfortunately that temporary awning has been there for about 6 years longer than I had planned and needs to come down.

Fortunately the stock market has been doing well, which means that old geezers like me with retirement accounts are doing better, and I am going to have enough money to put up a workshop and a real carport with solar panels. At that point I will be able to get back to the Plymouth in earnest. I don't just want to do welding, paint and body work in my home garage.

But there is another car as well and I don't know if I've posted pictures of it here. Unfortunately I don't have photos on this phone so this is all you get right now.
1579366577366148911278.jpg

It's not as old but it's one that I did restoration work on in the 70s myself and it is up for a complete refurbishment 47 years later. Again it's a car constructed from the parts of other cars by my father and I.

I have an extra cool Factory turbo engine for it as well. That engine is still smooth but the installed engine is a larger engine and it is frozen from sitting for 40 years.

If something incredible happens in the stock market I may have enough money to farm out some of the work on these cars but it looks like I'll at least be able to hire a contractor to put up my workshop. I Was preparing to start building it myself.

So does anyone think it's totally crazy to have an aquarium in a welding shop?

Reactions: BichirKing

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
When I'm not working or cleaning fish tanks I am boating, cycling or hiking. Last fall me and a buddy cycled up Mt Haleakala from Pa'ia (10,023' up in 35 miles). Boating is usually in Puget Sound where we fish, crab (dungeness) and shrimp ?(puget sound spot shrimp).
My wife says I have too many hobbies and she wishes one of them were her. ?

Here's a picture of us chasing Halibut near Neah Bay.
IMG_0087 (2).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store