What are your other hobbies

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well it's now just a pile of junk but someday I may be able to get it back together. As you can see I'm doing all the stripping outdoors under a temporary awning.

Unfortunately that temporary awning has been there for about 6 years longer than I had planned and needs to come down.

Fortunately the stock market has been doing well, which means that old geezers like me with retirement accounts are doing better, and I am going to have enough money to put up a workshop and a real carport with solar panels. At that point I will be able to get back to the Plymouth in earnest. I don't just want to do welding, paint and body work in my home garage.

But there is another car as well and I don't know if I've posted pictures of it here. Unfortunately I don't have photos on this phone so this is all you get right now.
View attachment 1402111

It's not as old but it's one that I did restoration work on in the 70s myself and it is up for a complete refurbishment 47 years later. Again it's a car constructed from the parts of other cars by my father and I.

I have an extra cool Factory turbo engine for it as well. That engine is still smooth but the installed engine is a larger engine and it is frozen from sitting for 40 years.

If something incredible happens in the stock market I may have enough money to farm out some of the work on these cars but it looks like I'll at least be able to hire a contractor to put up my workshop. I Was preparing to start building it myself.

So does anyone think it's totally crazy to have an aquarium in a welding shop?
As long as it is properly ventilated and the tank is beyond 30 feet or so from where the welding it taking place I don't see what's wrong with it. The tan being 30 feet or so away is so that burning pieces of metal flying away won't hit the glass or acrylic and potentially cause it to crack or leak. Alternatively you could make a wall of wood or metal in order to protect it from the metal pieces flying about and have it closer to where the welding is taking place.

I personally wouldn't do it but that's because I would want to maximize the space for strictly welding and maximize other space for tanks.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
One of the joys of having an aquarium is there is a lots of water on hand if you have to fight a fire and all you will need is a bucket.

It takes a long time to fill a bucket with a hose but I can dip out of my aquariums in nothing flat.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nice! How did you shape it?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Nice! How did you shape it?
Primarily with wheels you can get for an angle grinder, also wheels on a drill, hand rasps, etc. When I started this I decided to go with carving vs. turning, let's me dream up shapes or work with organic shapes without having to first turn them into 'blanks'.

Reactions: Dalfrey86

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Primarily with wheels you can get for an angle grinder, also wheels on a drill, hand rasps, etc. When I started this I decided to go with carving vs. turning, let's me dream up shapes or work with organic shapes without having to first turn them into 'blanks'.
That's pretty cool. I like it. I'm hoping to get my grandfathers lathe working again one day

Reactions: neutrino

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
When I'm not working or cleaning fish tanks I am boating, cycling or hiking. Last fall me and a buddy cycled up Mt Haleakala from Pa'ia (10,023' up in 35 miles). Boating is usually in Puget Sound where we fish, crab (dungeness) and shrimp ?(puget sound spot shrimp).
My wife says I have too many hobbies and she wishes one of them were her. ?

Here's a picture of us chasing Halibut near Neah Bay.
View attachment 1402139
that’s a ride!!! I’ve driven up that and was in aawwww at the guys riding

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I've got too many interests but I haven't but much effort into them. Other than fish, reptiles and birds, I play video games and watch anime mainly. But I also like to collect knives and am renovating my workshop (for over 2 years lol) mainly for knifemaking, metalwork, woodworking, leatherworking and such, I've got most of the tools/supplies I just got lazy. I've also dabbled a few times with diy pyrotechnics and rocketry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store