What Cuban cichlid hybrids are out there?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
The secret lives on!
Hell an ebjd looks more like a pure Cuban than they do a Jack Dempsey...
Cuban was a species noted being kept in breeding tanks of ebjd by the original breeder, we know crossing 2 different species that have non matching guinine distribution creates full body pearling... But forever continuing a fairy tale created to sell the fish in question is the most important and honorable thing to do I guess. Let's keep spreading those pure blooded "blue genes" around!

Reactions: Krismo962

Toms.Aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2022
Omaha, Nebraska
The secret lives on!
Hell an ebjd looks more like a pure Cuban than they do a Jack Dempsey...
Cuban was a species noted being kept in breeding tanks of ebjd by the original breeder, we know crossing 2 different species that have non matching guinine distribution creates full body pearling... But forever continuing a fairy tale created to sell the fish in question is the most important and honorable thing to do I guess. Let's keep spreading those pure blooded "blue genes" around!
Looks more like a dempsey than any cuban I've ever seen

20220603_195125.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Yes looks exactly like a Dempsey. Everything minus the face, fins, body shape, and color looks so much like a Dempsey. Very pure, so rare. :clap
Not every electric blue fish is a hybrid, the electric blue gene in EBJD is recessive, same as in electric blue acaras. It's just a random mutation, possible for all fish with pearling. The electric blue gene in rams however appears to be incomplete dominant. In theory you could probably line breed normal carpintis to be a solid blue without crossing it to anything.

Reactions: Deadeye

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Not every electric blue fish is a hybrid, the electric blue gene in EBJD is recessive, same as in electric blue acaras. It's just a random mutation, possible for all fish with pearling. The electric blue gene in rams however appears to be incomplete dominant. In theory you could probably line breed normal carpintis to be a solid blue without crossing it to anything.
How do you explain all the other features that are deviations of Jack Dempsey features? Or how much variation in shape etc exists within ebjd form? The fish bred nowadays look quite different to the imports of 2005 etc. There is more going on with these than just the pearl mutation.
The fish pictured above has a face that resembles a nice blood parrot, that is not a Jack Dempsey face.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
How do you explain all the other features that are deviations of Jack Dempsey features? Or how much variation in shape etc exists within ebjd form? The fish bred nowadays look quite different to the imports of 2005 etc. There is more going on with these than just the pearl mutation.
The fish pictured above has a face that resembles a nice blood parrot, that is not a Jack Dempsey face.
I would say from inbreeding too far. Most EBJD genetics are really messed up and a good amount of them maybe even majority look weird/mutant like the one above. Do to a lot of overly inbred aquarium strain NORMAL JD you actually do also see lots of variation in shape and features, while rather well-bred JD stay more true to a form with less variation. I personally doubt they are hybrids but it’s surely possible on some level.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Inbreeding lol
That's what happens when you line breed for weird recessive genes
Have you seen the tank strain convicts that have been in the hobby for decades?

images (8).jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

images (7).jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

download.jpeg

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Inbreeding lol
That's what happens when you line breed for weird recessive genes
Have you seen the tank strain convicts that have been in the hobby for decades?

View attachment 1498184

View attachment 1498185

View attachment 1498186

View attachment 1498187

View attachment 1498188
Those look like normal convicts to me. A nuchal hump is a natural feature in wild cichlids.
Unlike the parroty and twisted faces of ebjd, which look similar to a blood parrot which is a known hybrid? Why do people wish ebjd to be pure? I've seen so many ebjd and offspring of cichlid hybrids to know there is hybridization in them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Extreme amounts of inbreeding is going to cause as many genetic defects as hybridization. Even the blood parrot face isn’t an instant result of the hybridization, that trait had to be bred for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store