What Cuban cichlid hybrids are out there?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Extreme amounts of inbreeding is going to cause as many genetic defects as hybridization. Even the blood parrot face isn’t an instant result of the hybridization, that trait had to be bred for.
The blood parrot face comes up in first generation crosses of Vieja x midas though...
It is surely a trait that comes from hybridization.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
And FWIW:
Ebjd profile:
1656432826949.jpeg
Regular Jack profile:
image.jpg
Not a huge difference to me.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Extreme amounts of inbreeding is going to cause as many genetic defects as hybridization. Even the blood parrot face isn’t an instant result of the hybridization, that trait had to be bred for.
Agree on the first part though

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Those look like normal convicts to me. A nuchal hump is a natural feature in wild cichlids.
Unlike the parroty and twisted faces of ebjd, which look similar to a blood parrot which is a known hybrid? Why do people wish ebjd to be pure? I've seen so many ebjd and offspring of cichlid hybrids to know there is hybridization in them.
Those cons all look so different from each other. And those are not even the best examples of the point made and they still say a lot.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
No it's the black patterns and darker areas below the guinine on the scales - a similar guinine distribution to Cubans just with the jd color instead of silver, the variation of fry in each spawn, and the first hand account of a visitor to the original breeder's facility that makes me question them. They are quite obviously Cuban hybrids and if I had the space I would mess around with an ebjd x Cuban outcross breeding to help prove it.
I am taking pure carpintis to f4 sbrt this week. The idea is similar what ebjd breeders do, ebjd x jd then cross fry back to ebjd, yet to ebjd apologists this is entirely different since I acknowledge the sbrt as hybrids. If you haven't bred many hybrids you might not have seen what they have in common amongst spawns. Repeating internet fairy tales is for fools.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
No it's the black patterns and darker areas below the guinine on the scales - a similar guinine distribution to Cubans just with the jd color instead of silver, the variation of fry in each spawn, and the first hand account of a visitor to the original breeder's facility that makes me question them. They are quite obviously Cuban hybrids and if I had the space I would mess around with an ebjd x Cuban outcross breeding to help prove it.
I am taking pure carpintis to f4 sbrt this week. The idea is similar what ebjd breeders do, ebjd x jd then cross fry back to ebjd, yet to ebjd apologists this is entirely different since I acknowledge the sbrt as hybrids. If you haven't bred many hybrids you might not have seen what they have in common amongst spawns. Repeating internet fairy tales is for fools.
When you breed jd to EBJD you get normal jds carrying the electric blue gene. When you breed these back to eachother or ebjds, you get ebjds. When you breed these to leucistic jds you get platinums. It behaves like a normal recessive gene. And like all recessive genes, requires inbreeding to show up in offspring. What does this result in? Weird looking offspring. Go look at some of the spawn logs we have on the forum.

As for the convicts having nuchal humps, prominent nuchal humps, abnormally bulky bodies, dull colors in both sexes, and abnormally long fins are not common in wild convicts. There are only a few locales that actually naturally get that bulky and they still look more well rounded/less deformed.

As for EBJD having weird black patterns under their (what is essentially just overlapped) pearling, this can be seen in again, any cichlid that naturally has pearling when bred to have higher amounts of it. You can see this in certain carpintis locales, where the black between their pearling is eventually bred to just be little black wormlines between the blue, like what you pointed out in EBJD.

I am not sure why it is so hard for people to understand that a mutation building off an ancestral trait can occur in multiple species of closely related fish. This argument has come up and been shot down for every species of cichlid that has an electric blue gene. You can see these kinds of things on a larger scale in evolutionary trees. Higher intelligence evolved in multiple unrelated groups of primates independently because of a common ancestor having an abnormally large brain. Flight or at least gliding evolved in birds, pterosaurs, various lizards and a couple other groups of "non-avian" dinosaurs because their common ancestor happened to have abnormally hollow bones. Inflation evolving in pufferfish and their relatives multiple times independently, etc. While I understand evolution doesn't go in leaps like cichlids being inbred to the point where suddenly some of them come out with connected pearling, it goes to show that it isn't unheard of for seeds in ancestry to randomly sprout in certain lineages.

Reactions: Deadeye

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
When you breed jd to EBJD you get normal jds carrying the electric blue gene. When you breed these back to eachother or ebjds, you get ebjds. When you breed these to leucistic jds you get platinums. It behaves like a normal recessive gene. And like all recessive genes, requires inbreeding to show up in offspring. What does this result in? Weird looking offspring. Go look at some of the spawn logs we have on the forum.

As for the convicts having nuchal humps, prominent nuchal humps, abnormally bulky bodies, dull colors in both sexes, and abnormally long fins are not common in wild convicts. There are only a few locales that actually naturally get that bulky and they still look more well rounded/less deformed.

As for EBJD having weird black patterns under their (what is essentially just overlapped) pearling, this can be seen in again, any cichlid that naturally has pearling when bred to have higher amounts of it. You can see this in certain carpintis locales, where the black between their pearling is eventually bred to just be little black wormlines between the blue, like what you pointed out in EBJD.

I am not sure why it is so hard for people to understand that a mutation building off an ancestral trait can occur in multiple species of closely related fish. This argument has come up and been shot down for every species of cichlid that has an electric blue gene. You can see these kinds of things on a larger scale in evolutionary trees. Higher intelligence evolved in multiple unrelated groups of primates independently because of a common ancestor having an abnormally large brain. Flight or at least gliding evolved in birds, pterosaurs, various lizards and a couple other groups of "non-avian" dinosaurs because their common ancestor happened to have abnormally hollow bones. Inflation evolving in pufferfish and their relatives multiple times independently, etc. While I understand evolution doesn't go in leaps like cichlids being inbred to the point where suddenly some of them come out with connected pearling, it goes to show that it isn't unheard of for seeds in ancestry to randomly sprout in certain lineages.
If I breed RT to pure Carpintis the fry are "red gene", what is so hard to understand? You didn't even address this analogy.
The different color showing on ebjd is influenced by the color of body pigments existing underneath the guinine. Jack Dempsey do not have splotches of melanin aside from bars. They certainly don't have the face and head marbling as seen on ebjd and cuban. Ebjd fry look alot like pure Cuban fry, especially side by side compared to their "blue gene" siblings.
I won't comment anymore on this, all I get is internet parrots repeating their recording at me and it's not interesting. I would prefer to talk about these Cuban hybrids in a more informed and real way. I've done ebjd for several years, been breeding non-sneak hybrids ever since.

Dangerd22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2021
This is completely off topic but from breeding a couple of cons I’ve got a short body baby and a baby born with no tail

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store