What food brings out the best color in your fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
So from what I understand, food with astaxanthin brings out the best colors right?

So that would mean foods with high concentrations of krill and shrimp meat like Omega One and NLS would be the best. I'll definitely try those out. I feed mostly bloodworms and Hikari pellets to my fish. I use Massivore and Hikari sinking cichlid pellets and they're good at making my fish grow fast, but I'd like to mix it up more and feed food for color and growth.

Petrella88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
Chicago
I used hikari for years and when I made the switch to Omega there was a noticeable change for the better. I was using basicaly the entire product line of dry foods

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
LOcal Asian supermarkets sell frozen food............Popcorn shrimp, krill, silversides, sardines, silverfish, and shrimp of all sizes..................$20 dollars worth of this stuff literally can feed a monster tank for a month..........Breeding your own feeders also saves money...........COnvict cihlids, guppies, swordtails, mollies are popular feeder breeder............The convict cichlid can be bred 3x's a month.......Twice a month is reasonable.............Each spawn will hatch out between 80-300 fry............A separate tank(20-55g) is best in raising the fry separately......................
But what does any of this have to do with the question at hand??? He was asking what is the best food to feed his fish to bring out their colors... Not the cheapest way to feed Monster fish!!!! LMAO.... Just my opinion NLS is the best thing I have found and I have never seen a fish that does not love it!!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ooops! my bad this is the one I use Tetra Color Plus...

Okay gotcha...I misunderstood your first post and took it to mean that your fish had recently started showing even brighter colors than they normally do.

tdkee1

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
West Coast
The right foods are important for color and so is the right lighting. With the combination of both you can then achieve the maximum coloration you want out of your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
ha-ha-ha That is so old school, Joe. It barely worked back in the day, and today is a joke compared to some of the various forms & levels of natural (and synthetic) astaxanthin found in todays commercial fish foods.

Tetra Color Bits will work, no question about that, I personally just find the ingredients to be poor. (too much terrestrial based carbohydrates) Stick with a more quality diet such as NLS and you'll be happy with the results. Check out Aquaneros Orange Head Tapajos for coloration, he feeds NLS TherA to his geos.
Paprika has worked for many fishkeepers. Here is a read on enhancing color: http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=252

Many discus keepers use paprika to bring out the reds. Believe it or not, paprika even brings out the red in horses. However it's use is banned in many horse shows because it gives competitors an unfair advantage.

Other Carotenoid Supplements

In a 2007 study published in the Israeli Journal of Aquaculture, feeding tropical fish oleoresin paprika containing carotenoids resulted in no difference in life span or growth, but did have "a clear effect on color enhancement." The study concludes that adding 60 milligrams of oleoresin paprika per kilogram in the diet is sufficient for obtaining good color in fish.

Are you ever going to fall off the NLS band wagon? LOL!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Joe, I never said that paprika didn't work, what I said was .... today it is a joke compared to some of the various forms & levels of natural (and synthetic) astaxanthin found in todays commercial fish foods. Discus breeders in Asia almost all use astaxanthin to enhance the color of their red/orange fish, most use Carophyll Pink, a synthetic form used by the salmon farming industry. And or they use hormones, they sure as hell aren't winning best in show with paprika. lol

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Joe, I never said that paprika didn't work, what I said was .... today it is a joke compared to some of the various forms & levels of natural (and synthetic) astaxanthin found in todays commercial fish foods. Discus breeders in Asia almost all use astaxanthin to enhance the color of their red/orange fish, most use Carophyll Pink, a synthetic form used by the salmon farming industry. And or they use hormones, they sure as hell aren't winning best in show with paprika. lol
You are right. You said it barely worked in the old days. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store