What food brings out the best color in your fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Soak the fresh and frozen. Pellets are loaded already.

AKED are the fat soluble. Just like with humans too much of these are a bad thing.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
marigold and chili pepper.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Good genetics is king for color. Everything else is just trying to get them to show their genetic potential. Other than Asian synthetics.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
edit for not reading fully first.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
True, a great factor. But I see bird feathers and fish scales a little different.
Rainbow trout wild and captive bred look nearly the same on the exterior. On the inside captive bred have the lack of pigment from food you mention. So we artificially dye them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Chili pepper is old school, same effect as paprika which is next to nothing compared to various forms of astaxanthin currently on the market. Tagetes (marigold meal) is a common food additive used to enhance the color yellow, and many foods on the market contain it - just not all manufacturers list every single last ingredient individually, many will just use terms such as carotenoids etc. Or the ingredients will be lumped together as one. A bit of smoke & mirrors to keep the competition on their toes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
But I see bird feathers and fish scales a little different.
Actually the same substances that salmon farms use (Carophyll Pink/Red) to give color to a fishes flesh to make it look more appealing to consumers, will most definitely enhance the "outside" of the fish as well. That is exactly why Asian Discus breeders use it in their feed mix for red fish. It can turn a fish that is naturally yellow, to an unnatural orange, or a fish that is naturally pink, to blood red.

The same company that produces Carophyll Pink also makes a yellow enhancer for egg yolks.

You can read more about this in the folowing past discussion.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...My-Red-Discus-Before-amp-After-Carophyll-Pink

Most of the OP's pics are now gone, but the fish shown were genetic crap, washed out pink - that after being jacked up on Carophyll Pink became blood red. Tony hasn't posted here in 3 yrs, and the link to his website is now DOA, so I guess his sales didn't take off the way he was expecting?

Reactions: Cardeater
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store