MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have 3 main tanks, a 220gal, a 75gal, and a 72gal bow front...I also have 29gal, a 40gal, a 20gal, and a 10gal hospital tank. My 20gal nursery and 10gal hospital tank are fine. My other tanks are experiencing loss at a fast rate. I want to figure out what is causing it and how to stop it before it kills all my fish. It first started with a gold comp. He appeared to get bloated, he stopped eating, and he hid. We moved him from the tank he was in to a different tank because we thought maybe he was being bullied and was just super stressed. After a few days a clear bubble appeared on his underside and he was breathing harder than the others. We started to notice my catfish acting strange and he did not want to eat that night. The next morning we found my catfish dead. So we were immediately worried that our comp was going to die. We called around to our local stores and asked what we could do. We were told to do some melafix and try an epsom salt bath...so we tried an epsom salt bath thinking he had bloat...he died later that night...we decided to reach back out to our local stores and see what else could be going on. They said it could possibly be parasites and that it could be spreading. So upon recommendation, we dosed the tank with metroplex and kanaplex. We noticed that one of our blood dragon peacocks was starting to show signs of the same ailment. Would not eat, hiding, breathing harder. Whatever is going on is definitely contagious. This morning our peacock died. The metroplex, kanaplex, melafix combo is not working. The peacock also has the same clear bubble as the comp had. No bloating though. The catfish also was not bloated. I'm worried that more of our fish will die if we cannot figure out what is going on. I also do not like dosing our fish....makes me uncomfortable, especially not knowing what is actually going on. Please, if anyone knows what is going on or what it could possibly be...it would help a ton. Currently all of our tanks are sitting at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, around 50-100 nitrates, carbonates are 80, and ph is 7.2 (we are due for our water changes today) normal parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates, carbonates 0, and ph 7.2. I am attaching a few pictures of the clear bubbles I spotted on our comp and peacock. Thanks.

20210430_104301.jpg

20210430_104246.jpg

20210427_192114.jpg

20210427_192055.jpg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Welcome to MFK!

Sorry for your losses. I think your nitrate is extremely high and you aren't changing enough water weekly. I would suggest slowly upping the percentage of water you are changing weekly. Start with 25% ever 3rd day until your nitrate lowers and then you should be good at 40% to 50% weekly, depending on the stocking level of your tanks.

The only bubble I see on the fish is at the vent/anus area, is that correct? If so that is usually due to either water quality or constipation.

Can you provide more details on what you are feeding, if you are adding any buffers to the aquarium to adjust your tap water parameters, etc.?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrate, pH and carbonate hardness (KH) by letting it off gas for 24 hours?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
how often do you do waterchanges?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 3 main tanks, a 220gal, a 75gal, and a 72gal bow front...I also have 29gal, a 40gal, a 20gal, and a 10gal hospital tank. My 20gal nursery and 10gal hospital tank are fine. My other tanks are experiencing loss at a fast rate. I want to figure out what is causing it and how to stop it before it kills all my fish. It first started with a gold comp. He appeared to get bloated, he stopped eating, and he hid. We moved him from the tank he was in to a different tank because we thought maybe he was being bullied and was just super stressed. After a few days a clear bubble appeared on his underside and he was breathing harder than the others. We started to notice my catfish acting strange and he did not want to eat that night. The next morning we found my catfish dead. So we were immediately worried that our comp was going to die. We called around to our local stores and asked what we could do. We were told to do some melafix and try an epsom salt bath...so we tried an epsom salt bath thinking he had bloat...he died later that night...we decided to reach back out to our local stores and see what else could be going on. They said it could possibly be parasites and that it could be spreading. So upon recommendation, we dosed the tank with metroplex and kanaplex. We noticed that one of our blood dragon peacocks was starting to show signs of the same ailment. Would not eat, hiding, breathing harder. Whatever is going on is definitely contagious. This morning our peacock died. The metroplex, kanaplex, melafix combo is not working. The peacock also has the same clear bubble as the comp had. No bloating though. The catfish also was not bloated. I'm worried that more of our fish will die if we cannot figure out what is going on. I also do not like dosing our fish....makes me uncomfortable, especially not knowing what is actually going on. Please, if anyone knows what is going on or what it could possibly be...it would help a ton. Currently all of our tanks are sitting at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, around 50-100 nitrates, carbonates are 80, and ph is 7.2 (we are due for our water changes today) normal parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates, carbonates 0, and ph 7.2. I am attaching a few pictures of the clear bubbles I spotted on our comp and peacock. Thanks.

View attachment 1459090

View attachment 1459092

View attachment 1459093
Welcome aboard

I agree with D deeda and the meds made the situation worse imo.

Reactions: Jsangel1023

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
clean water comes before medication in my opinion. by using different medications not removing them and not following through with the entire treatment youre only going to put more stress on your fish.

Jsangel1023

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
clean water comes before medication in my opinion. by using different medications not removing them and not following through with the entire treatment youre only going to put more stress on your fish.
I hate using meds but we keep getting told to dose our tanks by local stores...we are going to do water changes tonight and probably tomorrow...new carbon as well

Reactions: tlindsey

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I hate using meds but we keep getting told to dose our tanks by local stores...we are going to do water changes tonight and probably tomorrow...new carbon as well
youre not using carbon and meds at the same time are you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store