What is the consensus with Southern Delight Fish food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
I have tried SD and it did not bring out the colors of my fish compared to other products I have used, especially NLS
I like the probiotic idea but who knows if the probiotics are even stable without any pre-biotic FOS or refrigerating

I also heard from a particular vendor (well respected) that SD is a scam with a different label but who knows.
They claim "FDA approved" with no evidence on their site either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Found it at the end, under the section called "About SDFF:" Ok so that statement makes me laugh since we would not want to feed the opposite.

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
Well according to the vendor who tipped me off, the label is called Ziegler. He says that the owner of SD created a scam...
I wonder why those who represent SD and are sponsors don't chime
in here to clear things up?
I would also love to hear about when the FDA approves fish food and not have any evidence to back it up.

They won't be getting my business for now after this, thankfully I had a free sample.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Well according to the vendor who tipped me off, the label is called Ziegler. He says that the owner of SD created a scam...
Private labeling a product is not a scam. I worked at a company that would private label chemicals for customers. That is just business.

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
Private labeling a product is not a scam. I worked at a company that would private label chemicals for customers. That is just business.
Hmm so "private labeling" of other products and at the same time claiming "FDA approved" is a legitimate way to say, that's business?
If that is how you define it, then by all means keep giving them your business

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Yes private labeling of products is a normal business practice. I dont know why that is hard to accept.

Here is some interesting info about FDA approval: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm047470.htm

NLS had this to say: "Our premium line of fish food is made in the USA, in an FDA approved state-of-the-art facility. All of the ingredients used in New Life Spectrum premium fish foods are thoroughly analyzed and certified, ensuring only the highest grade of quality and purity in each and every container of our food."
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=59

Why the fuss about FDA approval, are you also questioning NLS for this?

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
Yes private labeling of products is a normal business practice. I dont know why that is hard to accept.

Here is some interesting info about FDA approval: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm047470.htm

NLS had this to say: "Our premium line of fish food is made in the USA, in an FDA approved state-of-the-art facility. All of the ingredients used in New Life Spectrum premium fish foods are thoroughly analyzed and certified, ensuring only the highest grade of quality and purity in each and every container of our food."
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=59

Why the fuss about FDA approval, are you also questioning NLS for this?
Ok then like I said to keep things simple and no "fuss", keep giving them your business.
And as far as NLS goes, the owner has been doing this since the 70s, and to me, that is more of a reputable product including all of its recognition and awards.
The part where they say "FDA approved" facility, it could also mean that the facility is an FDA "inspected" manufacturing facility; usually by GMP.
Regardless, I would rather put my trust in a company that has been around for that many years to be FDA approved, than a company whom just released and all it has to say is a green check mark of "FDA approved".

And as I mentioned before about the probiotic use in there food, they do not state if the bacteria is even stable/alive or when it was manufactured and/or when it will expire.
Without pre-biotic food to nourish the bacteria, or refrigeration to keep them stable, the bacteria would have died long before the fish consumes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store