What is the difference of Longnose,Florida and spotted Gar.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
And anyway .,,
I go t this Gar today. The owners telling me it's a spotted Gar . But I'm not sure . What do you guys think?

IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3167.JPG IMG_3169.JPG image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They are gars with spots so not technically wrong. If it’s from the lfs then it’s a Florida gar. They are captive bred and readily available.

Since they are captive bred these gars come in with super spots, a few spots, tropical gar patterns and some without any spots. Made to sell. So to ID them is difficult and can not be truly determined by looking at them just IMO.

Spotted gar are also under protection last i remember so the likely hood it’s a true spotted is unlikely. Unless u know the source location and trust ur vendor. I see some true spotted from reputable vendors on occasion that are being sourced out of Texas.

Just IMO.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Well it looks like a Florida Gar to me too. And is it ok if I feed the Gar garden ants or any other insects?( I'm just asking)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Oh ..... thanks.
And do only juvenile Florida s and spotted Gars have dark strips on either side of their body or do other other juvenile Gar species have strips on either side of their body too?(except longnose and short nose Gar)
When young some other gars have stripes on their bodies, such as longnose, whose stripes break into spots as they age

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
They are gars with spots so not technically wrong. If it’s from the lfs then it’s a Florida gar. They are captive bred and readily available.

Since they are captive bred these gars come in with super spots, a few spots, tropical gar patterns and some without any spots. Made to sell. So to ID them is difficult and can not be truly determined by looking at them just IMO.

Spotted gar are also under protection last i remember so the likely hood it’s a true spotted is unlikely. Unless u know the source location and trust ur vendor. I see some true spotted from reputable vendors on occasion that are being sourced out of Texas.

Just IMO.
You can id by sight.
Spotted gar really aren't protected and
Wild caughts show up in the pet trade from time to time,

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Ok thanks a lot that was very helpful.:)
But one thing is my Gar doesn't eat even a little bit of anything I gave it.
Could you tell me a reason for this?

The shop vendor said they fed it in the mornings a small piece of sprats . But when I tried to give it some raw meat (a small amount) it didn't eat them.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe just settling in. Would wait it out and recheck the water. But woul just wait and I’m sure it’ll eat.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Yes. That could be it. I did some research on that too.......

Thanks a lot anyway.
And do you think I could keep it with a 22cm
oscar?(the Gar is exactly 15 cm)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be fine. Just keep an eye out cause cichlids can be territorial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store