What is wrong with my tsn

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hmmm, he doesn't look overfed. Have you noticed if he's still defecating? It could still be an infection causing the intestines to become enflamed causing pressure against the swim bladder. If it is the Epsom could still do the trick as Epsom is also used to treat Hexamita. There's other ways to administer the solution but I'd be hesitant to try them unless you feel very comfortable force feeding the fish with a pipette.

If it's okay with you I'm going to move this to Freshwater disease and health issues as Aquanero frequents that section along with others that are much better at diagnosing this stuff then I.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Yup that's fine with me. He was stopped eating for a few days and then gorged himself one day and now has gone about 2-3 days without eating, but I leave a but if food in at night for my irwini, so he could be eating a bit at night.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I moved it for you.

That's how my issue started with my Centrodoras, he gorged himself one night and when I went to do a water change in the morning I spooked him from under his driftwood and noticed his condition. Being that he gorged himself I do think it's probably something similar to what happened with my Centro that somethings pressing on the swim bladder from constipation or inflammation from an infection. Hopefully more will chime in good luck. and let us know how it turns out.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Thanks. Will a Rubbermaid tote work fine as a hospital tank? I have a 20 gal tank that I can use too, but it's in storage. And should I leave the water level Water level low, and if so how low?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks. Will a Rubbermaid tote work fine as a hospital tank? I have a 20 gal tank that I can use too, but it's in storage. And should I leave the water level Water level low, and if so how low?
No problem, I just hope it works out for you and that others offer up their thoughts on your issue.

I was hoping you'd be able to use something from the main tank to filter the smaller hospital tank like a sponge filter or extra HOB. I suppose a tote would be alright though I've never used one myself. I always have a 10 or 30 on the side with grow outs or just fodder to keep the biological going for such instances. I'd imagine in the tote you'd need at very least an air stone to keep him in there for an extended time.

As for water height some sites say to keep it low but again since I've always used a tank I never lowered the water level, then again this has only happened to me once. I've had other fish come in with Hexamita and constipation(imported flowerhorns) but never had a swim bladder problem till the recent case with my Centrodoras and those cases didn't need me to lower the water levels.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Okay appreciate all the advice. I will use an aquaclear with media out of the sump for the hospital tank. I was just hoping I could use a tote in place of a tank.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
ive used a tote to treat a sick Cuban for about a week. I did very small water changes daily and put a sponge filter in there and it seemed to work well. I did not feed the Cuban as much as I usually do with a filter though. Every three days. Im not sure if a tote will work for a type of catfish but it did work for a larger fish .

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
So I ended up setting up a 10 gallon I had handy. I used some sponges and pot scrubbies from my sump to set up the filter. I added 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt to the water. He is gasping pretty hard for air and laying side ways under the plant I put in there. I have pimafix, should I add it in just as an extra precaution for internal parasites?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store