What is wrong with my tsn

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I wouldn't worry too much about the leaning as long as his swimming has gotten better. He no longer rolls while he swims, right?

Did you remove the shrimp eventually? Shrimp goes bad ridiculously fast in tropical water, it's one of those foods that if it doesn't get eaten right away I scoop it out and throw it away.

Is that his primary diet? Because the other thing about shrimp is it's not very nutritious at all. I've heard it said shrimp is for fish like iceberg lettuce is to turtles, taken readily but not particularly good for them. When I have problem feeders and have to feed shrimp it's always stuffed with pellets to make sure the fish is getting a balanced diet.

As I said before do a water change(50%) you can even use your main tanks water to reduce stress on him and see how he's doing tomorrow. Hopefully by then he'll be a lot better and ready to eat and be reintroduced to your tank.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
It is his primary diet at the moment but I am currently in the process of converting my tank over to massivore. The only problem is I have two florida gars who only eat shrimp, so it makes it tough to train the others when the gars wont crack. The shrimp has been removed. The catfish is swimming fairly normally, but I did notice it swimming a bit wonky again for a bit (no circular motion though).

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I know you said I should do a water change tonight, but I think I'm going to leave him until morning and see if he is showing better signs of recovery by then.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
The fact that the gars will only eat shrimp should help you in the training of the cats, this will allow the hungry catfish to have an unhindered go at the pellets. If they haven't gone for pellets before they probably will if it's all you offer them for a couple of days. To increase the likely hood of them taking the pellets try squeezing the shrimp over the pellets and letting the pellets soak up the juices/water, this may help confuse the fish and make them take the pellet since it'll give the pellet a different smell. You can also try introducing both shrimp and shrimp soaked pellets at the same time the fish may accidentally get a pellet and will slowly get used to it. You can also do as I suggested and stuff the shrimp with the pellets that you are feeding in the mean time.

I would've preferred you did the WC just because I know fish can stress with Epsom in the water but hopefully a day won't make too much of a difference. I hope you keep updating this way I know if the TSN makes a complete recovery.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
My gars are fairly slow eaters and they don't come to the surface to feed as my Asian aro is a bit snappy when food comes into the tank. I'm sure the tsn will switch over to pellets soon. I know cats generally aren't very picky eaters. If not I will do the stuffing idea or the shrimp juice idea. I will update again in the morning and hopefully I will have good news. I really appreciate your dedication to helping me heal my tsn. Thank you!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
No problem, I know how much it means when you think you're about to lose a fish and when you're desperate for help but can't seem to find any. The forum has lows and highs and sometimes the right people to help just aren't online, I'm just glad that it looks like what I suggested maybe helping and that you can save your TSN despite me not being the most well versed here in diseases.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Just did about a 35% water change and he seems to be doing a lot better today. Barely tilted and swimming what seems normally for a 12" fish in a 10 gallon tank. Still have not seen him poop, but he hasn't ate in a while. Breathing a bit heavy, but not too bad considering everything.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Seems to be lying normally now. Going to try and toss a small piece of shrimp in and see if he goes for it!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sorry I haven't gotten back to your thread until now but I am happy that he seems to be doing a lot better. By the way that last pic of him came out great, his colors and contrast are really popping, not sure if it's because he's stressed or not but he does look good in it. If he does take the shrimp be happy but don't offer him any more for today, don't want the infection flaming back up before he's completely healed.

Also if he does eat you could try reintroducing him to his tank tomorrow and see how it goes from there. Again man, good stuff and good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store