What is your policy on tipping wait staff?

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Let's hear it. Do you tip based on percentage of check? Do you stiff if the service is sub-par? Do you tip the same no matter how much the check is?

Also, add what type of customer you think you are. Do you gulp down your Dr. Pepper every 5 minutes? Ask for something, then ask for something else when they return with the first thing; or do you generally think ahead and ask for everything at one time?

No need to lie to kick it in this thread.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
i hate tipping but i do it anyways just because i'm nice. i will tip anywhere from $2-$7 max depending on how much the bill was

i'm not a bad customer, i hardly ever ask for anything so i don't think it's necessary. i hate that some people may get offended if you don't tip them nicely. i don't like feeling obligated to tip anybody. i hardly ever tip at vietnamese restuarants (sorry, i love your food but your service is horrible) and if i do, it's only 2-3 bucks regardless of the bill

but my general feeling is, if you're a waitor/waitress, it's your job, why should you get paid extra? i get that they are paid dirt by the hour but that doesn't matter to me. get another job. but don't give me a dirty look if you see a small tip

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
umm well if the service is bad then i will skimp on the tip like $2 or nothing, depending on service. other wise i tip ok usually about %25-%30

depending on how i am feeling i will drink more or less

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I start at 20% and it can go up to 30% + or down to no tip at all depending on service.

Generally even average service will get 20% tip from me. Even if the bill is $200+ Im still going to tip the same percentage. I rarely leave no tip but did recently. Went to one of the tourist trap restaurants on the beach with a group of six. All of our salads had romaine lettuce, great right? Well no because seriously it was as if they cut off all of the leafy part and just served the middle stems...YUCK! I pointed this out the waitress who just said sorry and took my salad. A party of 8 sat next to us about five minutes after we ordered and ended up with their food first. Not cool situation #2. Then when we FINALLY got our food, over 15 minutes passed in between the first person being served and the last at our table. WTF? I was unhappy with that.

I even tip when I get my hair cut at places like super cuts. Yesterday my hair cut lady got a $5 tip on a $15 hair cut as she did a nice job. I once managed a casual dining place and I can honestly say though that there is a segment of out population that wont tip no matter what lol.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I'm not needy when I go out to eat, but I expect my server to be attentive and plesant to deal with. All too often around here I'm treated like it's an inconvience for them to serve me, and my tip reflects that. I always round to the dollar and for a good server it can be as much as 15-20% or not that long ago I rounded my bill up a whole $0.03 because the waitress was flat out rude and let our food sit for 15 minutes while she sat at the bar and flirted with the bartender.

sneary53

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Ohio
i am a server myself... i always tip at least 20% but usually more... people who come out to eat at like the first of the month because their food stamps came in and they have extra cash should actually be just going to burger king... where the server is not bringing drinks and food to you... where people just hand it to you... but when i go out... i do expect good service and i will pay to be taken care of... but if the server is just ****... i will tip the 20% and let their F.o.h. staff know... i like seeing another server bustin their chops with tables... thats the server i will request the next time i am in there... but seriously 20% is good... but when you tip 30% you know the next time your in there that person is gonna take great care of you again because they wanna earn that money... just my $0.02

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
I feel when you turn 16 you should wait tables. I starting waiting when I was a kid, and also did it when I was in School. Now in saying that there are some that have NO idea what tipping means. You do realize that the person that is waiting your table ONLY makes 2.13hr RIGHT? OK !!! if the waiter was subpar or even crappy I have no problem either short tipping or not tipping at all. HOWEVER, if you never have to wait and look around for your waiter and the service you recieved from said waiter made your experiance better then they deserve the 18%.

I have heard it all...It aint my job to pay you to do your job!!! There is always going to be ignorance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store