What is your policy on tipping wait staff?

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
no i don't tip. but thats because the places i normally eat at usually have this thing on the receipt where they charge u an extra 30% on top of the bill for waitress servicing.

although i tip the taxi drivers if they don't talk to me and just get me where i need to go.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I tip based on service. I don't care if they only make $2 hr base pay, if they don't earn enough tips to make minimum, the company has to match it.
The JOB they do is SERVICE, if they don't do their job, they don't get the money. It's that simple for me.

That being said, I have worked in the restaurant industry for several years when I was in college, so I know what it's like. I know a lot of people pulled in 2-3 hundred each night - so it's not like they are barely scaping by. That's not bad for a couple hours of work.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I feel when you turn 16 you should wait tables. I starting waiting when I was a kid, and also did it when I was in School. Now in saying that there are some that have NO idea what tipping means. You do realize that the person that is waiting your table ONLY makes 2.13hr RIGHT? OK !!! if the waiter was subpar or even crappy I have no problem either short tipping or not tipping at all. HOWEVER, if you never have to wait and look around for your waiter and the service you recieved from said waiter made your experiance better then they deserve the 18%.

I have heard it all...It aint my job to pay you to do your job!!! There is always going to be ignorance.
LOL seriously? Because 98% of the time its either $2.00 or nothing.
see, this is what i'm talking about. why do you feel that you are owed a tip from me? you're paid to be a waitor so you should do it well. but a tip is not mandatory, so why get upset if you don't get tipped what you think you should get tipped?

if you are only making $2/hr, go look for another job or suck it up, but don't look at me like i'm ignorant because i don't wanna tip you

and being on foodstamp means squat. if my bill is $30, i may leave $2 bucks or a buck and some coins. me being on foodstamp or not got nothing to do with that tip and it's regardless of how well you served me.

plus, it's beyond me how you know people are on foodstamp. sounds to me like you guys are simply judging by their looks

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
if they don't earn enough tips to make minimum, the company has to match it.
You know....I worked on wait staff for a couple years and never knew this. That just goes to show that I never made less than that. I tip well unless I don't see effort. I don't feel required to, but I like to occasionally walk into a restaurant and see a couple of waitresses argue a little over who gets to serve me. I almost always get excellent service and when I don't, I explain why I am leaving little to no tip and leave.

fishmamma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I tip, if the service is good, and the waiter/waitress/hair-cut lady was pleasurable to work with.. I don't mind giving a little extra..

You know I recently found out that people tip the Sonic attendant, you know the person that brings out your food.. that's crap to me!! Yeah I get it , what's the dang difference..?? Idk.. I'm not tipping the damn Sonic girl/guy!

Oh, I'll even tip at the grocery store if someone (typically a guy, because their normally taller) helps me by getting something off the shelf .. that happened to be to high for me to reach..

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I'm with Sumo. I HATE HATE HATE the idea of tipping. It makes me sick. I wish we were like Japan were tips are not expected and turned away. You get great service no matter what. With that said, I still tip because I don't want to seem like a dick, and because it's 'expected', which pisses me off. Not to mention this country has the worst customer service I've ever encountered. It's almost as if people are bothered that they have to wait on you or help you out.

If everything goes good, I'll leave double the sales tax. If it's bad, I have no problem leaving $0. What really gets me though, is the sense of entitlement from people in these service type jobs. I don't care if you're just 'trying to survive'. I must have missed the part where that was any of my problem. If it's that bad, go find another job.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like how they have a tip cup on the counter at Donkin Donuts and the barbers now expecting to be given tips.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store