What is your WC per week?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe, it's just something I don't think about. Fish do ok, look happy and grow well.
My water supplier is southern water obviously UK based if your interested in the full specs.
I've stopped worrying about it, local people keep and breed rays and discus in it, can't be that bad.
I have heard that tap nitrates are often from fertiliser and are not so bad for the fish since it's not the biological form? duanes duanes

I do anything from 50-70% a week on all my tanks, with light stock as well

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Maybe, it's just something I don't think about. Fish do ok, look happy and grow well.
My water supplier is southern water obviously UK based if your interested in the full specs.
I've stopped worrying about it, local people keep and breed rays and discus in it, can't be that bad.
J jaws7777
Man we had more than that.coming from our well water. Put in a home filtration system with nitrate removal works great

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Man we had more than that.coming from our well water. Put in a home filtration system with nitrate removal works great
I may be getting a wellpoint soon, I'm hoping that the water would be good for aquariums

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
On my old setup it was about 40% water change once weekly... plants helped a lot.

My new setup with the drip system, lighter stocking and plants should bring that number down to roughly 20% a week, although that's just a theory at the moment. :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I don't think I need to do so much on my tanks, I'm just terrified of nitrate creep

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I don't think I need to do so much on my tanks, I'm just terrified of nitrate creep
If you are afraid of the nitrate "creep" then you can just test your nitrates each week and adjust your water change schedule where it keeps your nitrates in a good place. Or, you can do smaller water changes, while testing each week, and when you start to see your nitrates get outside an acceptable range, you could then do a large 75-95% water change to bring the nitrates back down and repeat that cycle.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you are afraid of the nitrate "creep" then you can just test your nitrates each week and adjust your water change schedule where it keeps your nitrates in a good place. Or, you can do smaller water changes, while testing each week, and when you start to see your nitrates get outside an acceptable range, you could then do a large 75-95% water change to bring the nitrates back down and repeat that cycle.
It's always under 20 when I test, it's just fairly expensive so I don't test every week. Better safe than sorry :)

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It's always under 20 when I test, it's just fairly expensive so I don't test every week. Better safe than sorry :)
Even if you wanted to test it only once a month, you could still do what I recommend. You would just have to do a large water change on the months that you test high nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store